• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wagner master cylinder

limeyboy

Can anyone help me get a part number for a repair kit for my master cylinder?

1970 Mach 1, power disc brake car.
The underside of the master cylinder ( still in the car and working fine) says Wagner, made in USA with what looks like ( mirror and phone in one hand and torch in the other!) 76228 but has other marks that are impossible to read.
I can buy various ( probably Chinese) new masters here ( 2 or 3 times your price) but mine doesn't leak and works fine but if I can get a repair kit I will take it out and clean / put new seals in it.
I have a bill from 2007 that suggests it was replaced but I'm not sure as in the labour side it mentions it but in the parts side it doesn't.
It's really difficult buying these sort of parts here ( isn't that so Bruno?) most people just want you to buy a new one of dubious manufacture.

Thanks for any help
Cheers
Jeff

I’m not finding anything with those numbers. There must be other numbers on there.

Maybe the numbers are backwards?? Remember Jeff took a mirror !

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

I'll try and look at it from underneath but the casting is rough at the front where the other marks are.

I have a chance to run the stang down Santa Pod in May, the GB owners club hire it for the day once a year and if I can chance the 130 mile one way trip ( via the M25 also known as the biggest car park in the UK) it should be a good day.

Bruno may know that Santa Pod is the biggest drag strip in the Uk, it's also the nearest for me and for our US friends there are only about 7 strips in total ( not sure if they all run now either) in the whole of the UK!!!

I've found this repair kit on e-bay and may take a chance on it -

1967-72 COUGAR FORD MERCURY MUSTANG *NEW* MASTER CYLINDER REPAIR KIT K-59183
About $35 delivered to the UK.

M25 , London's roundabout ? Sounds like the " peripherique" around Paris.
Are you staying there for a few days Jeff ?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

The club only hires the track for a day, it's expensive, and yes just like the " peripherique" only bigger with more lanes and busy almost 24 hours a day.

You bring the stang with a trailer to Santa Pod ? Cause you never know what happens at the track :confused:

Sadly no trailer Bruno so I will have to take it steady ;)
This may be the only time it gets on the track so who knows what might happen and I'm thinking of selling a GSXR750 I have ( a Barry Sheene rep 1 of 50 by the MCN newspaper back in 2005) to pay for a new engine and box rebuild so apart from the inconvenience of getting it trailered home it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I found a casting number under the master cylinder now that looks like 38871 or 36871 but I still can't find any info :confused:

Thanks for that c6, I know it seems a lot of trouble to refurbish an old cylinder but when I got her it had had a new master ( I think) wheel cylinders and calipers 10 or so years previous but the car wasn't used so I took them apart and just checked and cleaned the seals ( Lockheed etc so good stuff) and they have been great for two years and want to "be ready" just in case the master starts to leak.

Back