• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wednesday Funny - Just minding my own business

Havok1

I was going through some old files on my computer and came across this video from a couple of years ago. I must say I was ~sp right after it occurred, but after watching this video and hearing my commentary right before the accident and (if you listen real closely) on the radio to dispatch right after, it's pretty funny. If you pay attention to the driver of the truck, he starts to exit the truck, gets that "ole shit" look on his face and then starts crawling back in the truck. What you can't hear is what I'm saying to him. It wasn't pleasant I assure you. Anyway, just thought I would share. Enjoy.

I assume that his R turn signal was still on from exiting the highway, but wasn't he in the L turn lane? Having never been the cause of an accident before, I'm guessing this was pretty embarrassing for you?

Dave, not embarrassing for me at all. He was in the left turn lane and his right signal was on. Having pulled a few large trailers myself, I just figured he was setting up for the wide right turn. He sure wasn't setting himself up for a left turn.

Ryan, it was his fault. His trailer tracked completely into my lane. The car was totaled out. Both driver side tires blew from the trailer pushing on it, the trailer frame cut the A pillar in two, and almost did the same to the B pillar.

I think I still have pictures on my computer at the house. I'll post them a little later.

Here are the pics I still have on my computer.

559-1.jpg

559-2.jpg

559-3.jpg

559-4.jpg

559-5.jpg

559-6.jpg

Caption for that first photo: You know you're having a bad day when you look where you've just been.

I had something similar happen to me in 1980. I was cruising I10 in east Texas, following an 18 wheeler. A van was just ahead of me, and he wanted to pass the truck, so he went to the left lane. There were no other cars for miles around. I went behind the van, and all three of us went down a long, low grade. This van took about 2 miles to pass this truck, and finally got ahead of him. He then proceeded into the RH lane with about 2 feet to spare between his rear bumper and the front of the truck. The truck, obviously, didn't want to rear-end this guy, so he went to the left lane. Unfortunately, the laws of physics don't allow two vehicles to occupy the same space. I couldn't slow down fast enough, so I had to go onto the median to avoid collision. The median was gravel, which immediately spun the nose of the car underneath the truck bed, and the truck ran right over the engine compartment. I was not injured, and the van kept on going, oblivious to what had happened. My car was totaled.

To this day, I will not drive next to an 18-wheeler for any sustained distance. I will pass him as quickly as I can, or I won't pass until I can. I wouldn't have been in the situation of Havoc1 because of this precaution.

Back