• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Welder question

tarafied1

I borrowed a MIG that is 180 amp 220 volt. The guy I borrowed it from does not have shielded gas and is using flux core wire. I borrowed it to weld the frame up on the 65 as my 90 amp MIG wont make enough heat for the frame rails.
My question, should I try to weld with it as is or get regular wire and hook up my tank?
I've never wire welded with flux wire before. I really don't want to screw up the frame!
Thanks

Skip the flux core if you can... Flux core leaves voids in the welds. Some racing sanctioning bodies won't allow flux core welded roll bars because of that.

"stangg" said:
Skip the flux core if you can... Flux core leaves voids in the welds. Some racing sanctioning bodies won't allow flux core welded roll bars because of that.

Agreed. Get a bottle and do it correct.

Okay. Thanks. The guy said I need to reverse the polarity to use gas. Any recommendations on wire size?

diagram4.gif

I will say that I use .023-.025 for most of my welding, no matter how thick it is. I think this is similar to what Opentracker uses.

"cmayna" said:
I will say that I use .023-.025 for most of my welding, no matter how thick it is. I think this is similar to what Opentracker uses.

Me three

Back