• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Went out and killed.......

AzPete

......a few bugs today. After putting 4200 miles on the '66 since we got it in Oct. '07, we have made numerous improvements and changes to the PO's questionable work. The body and paint may not be perfect but mechanically, it is coming along real nice. Still need an A/C and heater though. The upper and lower control arms were the last of the major things for being road worthy for going out of town.

We did about 70 miles around the country side this morning. We ran mostly 55-75 (yes, the limit was 65) mph for the majority of the miles. Maybe 10 were in town, at 45 mph. These numbers come from a C4 that I believe has stock gears with a rebuild, a 3000 stall converter and shift kit. The rear tire size is 235/60R-15 BFG T/A and I believe the rear gears are about 3:00 if my memory is right when Mid and I checked them.

The temp. held good at 180-185, oil pressure was at 50 psi, and the volts sat at a bit over 14. At 75 mph, the tach read 3350 rpm, 60 mph was 2350 rpm and 45 is 1800 rpm. The only thing not reading correct is the fuel gauge. That is because I have not wanted to drain the tank with no drain plug. A PO special.... The car has gotten the best of 13 mpg around town but I am not really worried about it as long as she is running good. I am running a 3-core radiator from a Toy 4-Runner (2" wider and about 1" taller) with a 6 blade flex fan and a crappy shroud. Another PO invention but it at least works.

My better half really enjoys the '04 seats. She even managed a nap out on hwy 20. Those seats are a nice, low cost mod that I really like. The radio does have enough power without add ons to be heard at 75, windows down and the 40's out the back. The pipes do sound good though.

Only problem I came up with is a vibration at 60-70 range. Not bad and it has a bit of a pattern to it. I will have the tires checked this week and then look at the u-joints. No unusual noise from the drive shaft but it is a good source for the type vibration I have. I cannot feel the vibration being specific to any one thing. Steering is smooth, seat feels smooth, and cannot feel it in the floors so.....

Life is good..........

I'm running 2100 rpm at 60 mph with 195R75X14 with 3.00:1 rear gears. I do remember you have 3.00 rear as well, kinda strange for a car that was originally intended to be a drag car.

"Midlife" said:
I do remember you have 3.00 rear as well, kinda strange for a car that was originally intended to be a drag car.

I thought they were 3:00. If you remember the condition of the axle bearings, he would have been doing a new one soon anyway. Of course, how many other thing that we have worked on would have stopped him at the track anyway.

Back