• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

what can I do to my motor?

Motor's looking good Dne.
Just my 2cents.....ditch the red dizzy cap for a black or gray one.
Just doesn't look good against the orange block.

Thank you for pointing that out Joe! I wonder if they make a black one~ Gray would be ok though.
dne'

Sportbike,

Who did you use to build your engine?

I am in Houston (Spring area) and starting to think about rebuilding my 289....in a '66 Coupe btw.

Have already picked up a Holley 4bbl and I am working on closing a deal on some ported GT40 heads. From there I will obviously need a few other odds and ends such as cam, intake, etc, etc.

I spoke recently with Scroggins Machine and they could build it for me for about $1,500 if I showed up with a top end kit in hand or something along those lines.

Any advice (Houston area specific) for folks you have spoken with or actually used?

Rusty,

Welcome to StangFix.

You'll find that there is a lot of us from Houston.
I've used Scroggins many times and they do a good job.

Dne' used a cat named Herb, also local and gives him rave reviews.

Make a post in Gum Flapper's with a little bio info.

Again, Welcome

Hi Rusty! Welcome!, Herb is my builder. You can call him if you'd like and discuss options. 281-546-6232. He does like in Spring also! So give him a call! Doesn't hurt to shop around!
dne'
832-607-9116

Thanks for the welcome and also for the name and number for Herb..

I have a more immediate problem since my transmission started misbehaving today and probably needs a rebuild. :expl

I have noticed a lack of power for a few weeks and have noticed a "whirling" noise when putting it into reverse for a while. But today it was really slow shifting out of first...also just no power getting to the back wheels for lack of a better way to describe it.

Just as a follow up...thanks again dne'

I have been trading e-mails with Herb and sounds like he can build me a decent 302 for a really good price.

I got a laugh though....I told one friend what he wanted for a solid street 302 and they thought he was doing something shady and tried to argue that a crate engine starts at $5-$6k...friend tried to argue Herb must be using cheap parts or stealing them, LOL!

My thought was "crate engines" come from huge corporate concerns, are probably assembled heaven only knows where by basically slave labor and these corporate concerns have tons of over head and a serious profit motive. A guy doing good work in his garage is not that greedy.....there is no way I would pay what some of these outfits want for their crate motors.

I am probably still 6-9 months away from redoing my engine bay and having Herb build me something due to having to save up some money first.

Well, maybe in 6 or 7 months I'll have mine running, and we can just see how Herb actually did! That's his expertise, that's all he does, so he must be pretty good at it! But being human as we all are, there is always room for error/mistake. I make 'em all the time! :rofl I'm glad you got to talk to him or write him. He wants to come to my house when it's time to install my motor! I think also he would like to do something a little fun besides building motors all day! I really like the guy, he's really nice and I enjoy talking with him! For me, the installation of my motor will be a historic day!! Just to see my motor in my mustang~ :pep :pbj :pbj
stay in touch!
dne'

"Sportbikechick" said:
I think also he would like to do something a little fun besides building motors all day!

Well heck....he can come over to my place, I have a ton of projects that would keep him busy if he gets bored :rofl

I really considered buying a 302 roller block off of craigs list since I see them all the time for $50 - $75, having it machined then building it, but I am afraid I would put something together wrong and probably less head ache to just pay someone else to build it for me.

But if you are on the north side of town and ever need an extra set of hands let me know....I have found the more I work on things myself or help other folks with things the more I learn....

Already contacted Herb via -email, He might just rebuild what I have, seems like a good guy so far. Plan to talk with him today. THANKS!!!!

Herb called me yesterday, he's looking for me an MsD distributor setup~ he pointed one out to me on craigsL, but I haven't heard from the people selling the part~! That happens a lot!
Anyway, I told herb about your interest, so, he'll be expecting your call ;)

"mmw68" said:
Already contacted Herb via -email, He might just rebuild what I have, seems like a good guy so far. Plan to talk with him today. THANKS!!!!

Yep - I talked to Herb yesterday. It's really hard to beat his prices, and he seem like the real deal. He said he would even drive the engine up to Austin in his pickup. What service! I need to decide on what I want, then place the order. I'll post up here the details. Herb is becoming the "Official" Stangfix engine builder.

:thu If I had it to do over again~ I would have had stroked my engine! :shrug Didn't realize what a deal I got until after I started seeing what engine actually go for! However, I went cheap on my chevy engine! lol Sometimes I just don't understand myself! I'm excited for you!
dne'

"mmw68" said:
Yep - I talked to Herb yesterday. It's really hard to beat his prices, and he seem like the real deal. He said he would even drive the engine up to Austin in his pickup. What service! I need to decide on what I want, then place the order. I'll post up here the details. Herb is becoming the "Official" Stangfix engine builder.

Back