• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What color should paint my intake?

What color should I paint, powder coat or ceramic coat my EFI intake?

• Leave it black!

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Powder coat it Silver

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Ceramic coat polished silver

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Paint it body color

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Something else?

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

68EFIvert

I just purchased a new EFI manifold for my engine I am building. I picked up a udes Trick Flow Track Heat Intake that has a black powercoat finish. I am a little unsure if I want to leave it black or change it. I am thinking of powder coating it a different color like silver / chrome look. Ceramic coating would provide a nice polished look but more durable than powder coating. The last option I can think of is to paint it my car color which is HOK Kandy Brandywine. What are your thoughts or ideas? For those who haven't seem my current engine here it is so that you can see how this decision will flow with the rest. What ever I do to the intake I will likely do the valve covers. Here is a link to summit to show what the intake looks like now.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51511002?part=TFS%252D51511002&view=16383&N=700+4294822100
IMGP1949.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've voted.

What are your thoughts or ideas?

I think you should drop that entire underhood abomination off at the nearest shipping company, mail it off to my place and start all over again.

:nice

Dave,

You have been know to go great distances for a good deal on an engine. How about coming to the other coast to help me with the swap and then we can talk about sending the old engine back with you? :nice

great distances for a good deal on an engine.

Don't think I'm not tempted.

However, New Jersey from E. NC for my 347 was a just a hop and 1/2 a skip..... NC to CA is a helluva jump for a 5.0!

Well, If Darreld is willing to put it off a few months, aren't you gonna be in CA for MIM and visitin friends????

"Fast68back" said:
Well, If Darreld is willing to put it off a few months, aren't you gonna be in CA for MIM and visitin friends????

Sorry I won't be there. I don't drive the car much this time of year around here. It rains all the time and it is very likely to run into snow in the passes. I don't think the car would do very well in the snow. :yikes :bike

"daveSanborn" said:

Don't think I'm not tempted.

However, New Jersey from E. NC for my 347 was a just a hop and 1/2 a skip..... NC to CA is a helluva jump for a 5.0!
Good thing I don't live in Cali. You would only have to go to WA.

There is a link to a black one right above the picture of my current engine.

Dave- the roads are paved out here but the wagon trains have right of way.

Even though my S351 intake is painted the same as my body color, to me it's too much.
Another guy with a white car painted his something different...more industrial looking:
If I do it over, I'm thinking of something like this:
SOCA055.jpg

That does look nice. Is it gray or black? I was wondering what it would look like black when my blower is polished. I'm starting to lean more toward black now. Maybe get some tall trick flow valve covers to clear the stud girdle in black as well.

No, it's actually more of a gray color. As a reference you can see the black hose between the blower and the outlet tube.
Here's another pic for reference:

SOCA056.jpg

I originally voted for the ceramic coating, as i thought the polished look never hurts. After seeing those pictures by joe, and looking at all the billet you already have. If i could i would change my vote to black. For what its worth, its just my .02. Either way, thats a bad a$$ ride!

"Fast68back" said:
That color looks like anthracite, same color as the centers of my wheels.

I think that'd be the best comparison I could make as well.
I personally would prefer it to black.

It does look better than the black that comes on the Trick Flow intake. It is a dull finish and has to much texture for my liking. I now have to firgure out how to strip the manifold of the existing black powder coating. Does anyone know if you hot tanked the intake if it would remove the powdercoating?

Isn't the manifold aluminum? AFAIK hot-tanking the manifold would eat through the manifold, but I could be wrong.

Back