• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What do you guys think about this hood

abrahamfh

Hi guys, the hood on Selene I think would be best replaced . I was looking around and stumbled upon this hood. The gentlemen is asking for 80 bucks. What do you guys think? Can that damage be something that can be repaired by a professional? Thanks in advance, really appreciate the help.

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as there isn't rust inside the frame, that looks like a good deal to me. I believe a decent body shop could straighten that minor damage.

For 80 bucks, i think its a pretty good deal. That corner doesnt look bad, as long as the primer isn't hiding much.

Okay, so he called me back today and seemed to be a real nice guy. I head on down to Oakland where he is located and when I checked the printout of his posting he was only asking 60 dollars for the hood. I showed up, we chatted for a while, he was more of a nice guy than on the phone. He has a 65 fastback he restored, a old Packard he restored and another packard with the rumble seat undergoing restoration. I now have my hood and will post pics soon.

(of course I told him to check us out here at stangfix.com) :pep

So here are the official pics of the hood now that it is in my possession. The seller was very humble in regards to the description of its condition, it is better than what I had anticipated and I am extremely happy with it. I honestly think that he repaired the very small damage to the corner of the hood that had occurred when he was moving.

IMG_6960.jpg

IMG_6955.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, i must have missed the update with the pics. That hood looks to be very solid. You never know about primer, until you see whats under there to be sure. But non the less, it looks like a great starting point.

"abrahamfh" said:
Whats the best way and most cost effective way to remove the primer.

If I were stripping the hood to bare metal and I didn't have a sand blaster, I'd use a grinder with a 40 grit sanding pad.

The other option would be chemical paint remover, but sanding will remove old body filler better.

AR343.jpg

In my experience you have to be carelful with the a sanding disk on a grinder. You can easily groove the metal creating a little extra work for yourself. The stripper is a good start to get under the paint. Or a orbital sander with some 80 grit works nice. I like this one.

base_media

A good sanding block works great too. It is more time consuming but would probably lead to better results. At least once you get under the primer, and paint, you will see where the bondo is. You might get lucky, but i bet theres some where the corner ding was.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will research each suggestion more in depth today during normal functioning hours. While I was lurking around in the garage trying to figure out how to remove my wiring harness all in one piece to send over to Mid I ran into what looks to be the same grinder you suggested lethal. I guess its better to have several options as opposed to just one.

I'm thinking maybe using the grinder with 80 grit or the sanding block on the top part of the hood and the chemical paint remover on the underside where the frame is.

Attachments

• IMG_6972.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
Back