• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What do you guys think?

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
So I happen to run across this Craigslist ad. I have to go do my due diligence and inspect it but seems to me it might make a good candidate for my dust collector. I won't pay near the asking price but I think this might make a great deal. Not the monster I was planning to build but this might actually get my car on the road this summer.

What do you guys think? What would you think is a fair price if it is all that's claimed?

For Sale: 1966 Ford Mustang V8 289 CID engine rebuilt, bored and stroked to 348.7 CID
-Over $6000 invested in engine
-asking for $4500
-Includes original C4 Automatic transmission

-Originally V8 289 CID--Professionally Rebuilt and Bored, Stroked and Blueprinted to 348.7 CID
-0 miles and 0 hours on engine and all components since rebuild
-Full documentation available from Professional Rebuild Shop including blueprint final readings
-All new components original paperwork included
-All brand new parts on original reworked block
-Original 1966 C4 Auto Transmission from this engine included with original flywheel

Engine Main Specs:
Bore: 4.040
Stroke: 3.400
Rod length: 5.400
Compression Ratio: 10.2 : 1

Full list of new components on picture below or contact me for more info

-----List of main components:

-Edelbrock Performer RPM Ford Aluminum Cylinder Heads Model # 60259 (complete with 2.02" valves and springs)
-Edelbrock Performer Series Carb 600 CFM Model # 1406
-Comp Cams Camshaft Model 31-442-8 Custom Grind (ask for details)
-Comp Cams roller lifters and roller rockers
-all ARP Fasteners
-Mahle Pistons and rods
-Many more upgrades see pics below or contact me with your phone number in reply email

All machining work and engine assembly done by extremely reputable and experienced performance engine shop.

"guruatbol" said:
If it is not a rust bucket and it runs well, it is worth the money.

Mel
This is just the engine. Freshly built but never fired or installed.

Well, the parts list is a deal, I don't thing you could buy all those parts for that money. Even if you had to take it apart and reassembly it.

If the machine work was done correctly, assembly is the easy part. If the assembly was done right then all you would have to do is install it and pre lube and fire it up.

It sounds like it is a moderate build, no monster but enough for the streets.

Sorry I misread the add.

Mel

"guruatbol" said:
Well, the parts list is a deal, I don't thing you could buy all those parts for that money. Even if you had to take it apart and reassembly it.

If the machine work was done correctly, assembly is the easy part. If the assembly was done right then all you would have to do is install it and pre lube and fire it up.

It sounds like it is a moderate build, no monster but enough for the streets.

Sorry I misread the add.

Mel
That was my impression. Certainly not the engine I had planned but then again I didn't plan on my car sitting idle as long as it has either! This would drop in and serve the car well and the money saved could fund the rear end work I need to finish up.

I'm planning to go take a look and see if it lives up to the ad. I predict it will. At which point I will probably make an offer. Anyone care to put a $$$ figure out there? I don't think the asking price is unreasonable but I also think the seller is expecting to negotiate down.

Well, he is asking $4500 so, I would start at $3800 and go from there. he might settle at $4000.

I am not the best price negotiator though, but I do OK.

Mel

The parts list itself is some serious bucks and there was the extra expense in converting it to roller set up. The 347 stroker and .040 over on a 289 might give me concerns on longevity, but that's my cautious nature. I'd offer him what the parts add up to and see where he's at . .

What's the worst that could happen? Blow up??? Trust me, it's not that disheartening!

After the 3rd time.

I would get a part number off one of the pistons. I know Probe makes a piston for a 3.4" stroke where the wrist pin doesn't go through the oil control ring groove which reduces oil consumption and in turn, improves longevity. Regardless, I would have a reputable shop with experience in performance builds tear it down and check all the tolerances. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $3000 for a stroker built on a 289 block.

"cal71919" said:
I would get a part number off one of the pistons. I know Probe makes a piston for a 3.4" stroke where the wrist pin doesn't go through the oil control ring groove which reduces oil consumption and in turn, improves longevity. Regardless, I would have a reputable shop with experience in performance builds tear it down and check all the tolerances. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $3000 for a stroker built on a 289 block.

That oil consumption stuff is purely myth. Also, consider this isn't a car that will see DD use, so it "should" last for many years.

Bill

"silverblueBP" said:
Well, what did you end up doing??
I took the drive to go check it out. It is everything claimed in the ad. Just not sure it is what I will be happy with in the end. It's close enough but is that enough to avoid regret?

All that said, I have been going around and around with my decision. For what I would spend on this engine, I could almost do most of what I wanted to do originally on my own. Or I could instead use the cash to finish up my 4 link and build the 9" I want. Plus new wheels and tires and a few last odds and ends. That would get me to a near finished roller sans engine/trans. I'm thinking this might be the better option. I can always find/build something with whatever budget I have later to make it go.

Personally I would hold since you really aren't ready for it. If it was a super deal, then maybe. If its close to what it would cost you anyway, then why tie up the funds when you have other things you need to finish. Usually the only time I spend money ahead is either when the deal is too good to pass up, or if I'm working on projects that don't require extra funds in the near future and might go ahead and buy small parts needed later.

What are the details on your 4 link... Are you custom building it? Got any build pics...

"Fast68back" said:
Can you find 348.7 badges?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't sweat that, I can make you some. I can even cut it to read 5.7142 liters if u like.

I passed on the engine. Going to finish up the rest of the car instead. I want to get it back on four wheels. Going to concentrate on the back half. Get the tubs done and finally decide on the suspension set-up and get it completed. I may even go the simplest route and just move the leafs in-board of the rail and call it a day. My real goal was just to gain a couple inches for wider tires.

Anybody move their springs (like with a Crites kit) inside the rails? Seems to me for my car's purpose (street/strip) this would not be an issue.

Back