• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What intake - Ford Racing 306

kb3

I have purchased this engine http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11752 for my son's 65 fastback. Shhh....it is a Christmas present. The heads call for GT-40 style intake. I am planning on running Ford SEFI fuel injection on the motor and am curious as to what intake would work. Looking online I am having trouble determining what intakes are GT-40 style. I have the stock 5.0 intake (lower and upper) from a 91 Mustang but I assume they won't work.

any help?

You can get a resistor pack to plug into the egr plug to fool the computer to think that it's there. I've got one somewhere that I was gonna use, but decided to get a Tweecer and program out the emissions control stuff.

You can use any 5.0 EFI intake manifold, or any carb intake manifold. While your stock 5.0 manifold will work fine, it's not really on par (performance wise) with the other engine components. There are several aftermarket manifolds you can choose from including Edelbrock, Trick Flow, BBK, and the Ford Racing GT-40 or "Cobra" manifold. It's tough to beat the price on the Ford Racing "Cobra" manifold. It uses the GT-40 lower, but has a cast upper instead of the original tubular GT-40 upper. It was also OEM on the 1993 Mustang Cobra. Here is a Summit link showing your options:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Air-Fuel-Delivery/Part-Type/Intake-Manifolds-Fuel-Injected/Make/FORD/Engine-Size/5-0L-302/Intake-Section-Included/Complete/?Ns=Rank|Asc

"kb3" said:
Thanks...I saw that one, but was not sure if it will mate to the upper intake that I already have or what to do with the missing EGR provisions. I would assume I can get an aftermarket wiring harness that will leave off the EGR?

The lower GT40 style will not work with your stock '91 upper. The 91 has oval ports all in a straight line. The cheap way out is to get an intake off of a 5.0 Ford Explorer.
I have the FMS "Cobra" intake on my engine. and no complaints... the car runs almost 108 mph in the quarter mile with the Cobra manifold, e303 camshaft on a 331 w/ AFR-165 heads.
The Cobra manifold is said to be good to 350 HP. I think it works pretty well. It has no problem spinning right up to 6000+ rpms.

If you want to trick it out a little, you can port match intake to the heads. If the intake gasket matches the ports in the head perfectly, then you can use it as a template to port match the intake manifold too. I'm not sure how the other manifold match up, but the cobra needed a abut an 1/8" removed from the floor of the runner to match the AFR heads.

Also. the cobra manifold has an EGR port, so if you decide against using it, you will need to get a block off plate. I've been running mine with the EGR hooked up.
intake_port.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you wanted to wring the most power out of it, I'd go with an Edelbrock Performer RPM (or RPMII, whatever the name is). Otherwise the Ford Cobra/GT40/Explorer intakes are pretty darn good and all 3 are basically identical, except for the GT40 being megabucks and the new Cobras being so-so chinese castings. Another good-to-excellent aftermarket option is the Holley Systemax. Some of these intakes (explorer and systemax particularly) can be gotten CHEAP used on ebay and corral.net.

The Ford and some of the aftermarket intakes (trickflow) have loooong runners, which is good for midrange torque, but crappy for everything else, including HP...the Edelbrock has the shortest runners of any 5.0L unit I've seen, and it is proven to work great. :thu

Thanks for all the great information. It looks like the Cobra intake may fit the bill perfectly for this situation. Now to spec out the throttle body, injectors, headers, wiring harness.....oh my this will be expensive! I hope the kid will appreciate the finished project.

oh my this will be expensive!

Within this thread there was only a brief mention of the wiring harness. Typically, modifying an OE EFI harness is the most time consuming aspect of the EFI conversion. What are your plans for the wiring harness?

Also don't overlook the radiator. Your OE radiator should be a downflow radiator with both the inlet and outlet port on the passenger side of the vehicle. An EFI motor uses a reverse rotation water pump (for the serpentine belt to route properly) that requires an outlet port on the driver side of the vehicle. Ron Morris sells a lower hose/pipe kit that will allow you to retain the use of your existing radiator, but you may want to upgrade to an aluminum crossflow radiatior for better efficiency.

Dave -

This is a ground up build, so I am literally starting with nothing. My intention is to use one of the after-market efi harness either from Ford Racing or from fordfuelinjection.com. The latter really allows for customization of the harness.

As for the radiator, my plans definitely include a nice aluminum cross flow unit. I am way too deep into this build not to do it right. With the car going off to paint in the next few days, I can concentrate on putting the running gear together.

Thanks for the advice!! I am all ears when it comes to anything, anyone has to offer with such a project that I am in the middle of.

Ken

Ken,

At the recommendation of others I used the EFI harness from FordFuelInjection and am 100% satisfied. The builder of these harnesses (if my memory serves me) is a guy named Ryan who used to frequent the VMF. The "EFI business" is a side job/hobby that he took on.

Ryan is well known around the other end of the spectrum I hang around...the early Bronco forums. His product seems to be a no nonsense approach to a good EFI solution. I appreciate the positive review.

Back