• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What size fuel line from tank?

Mach1Mark

Ramrod extraordinaire
Donator
Im trying to decide on the size of the hard line from the fuel tank to the engine compartment for my restomod. The engine will be a 351w stroker (408-427 c.i) and ultimately I want to run Webers (please dont try and talk me out of this). Electric fuel pump at the tank end of course. I keep going back and forth between a 3/8" dia and a 1/2" dia line. Ideas? thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Look at it very simply. The larger line is not going to cause you any issues. If you are worried about fuel volume/flow with the 1/2" line you will be able to sleep at night.

That said, I see no reason a 3/8" hard line would have any issue feeding the fuel demand of an engine that size. Then again, you haven't spelled out everything about your engine combo either.

The 1/2" line has 1.77 times the volume of the 3/8" line. Do you really need that much gas?

Mark, we are planning similar engines. I'm running -6 line from the tank, a 3/8" sending unit, and a 110gph mechanical pump. I'm pretty confident that will feed 500 HP.

"Midlife" said:
The 1/2" line has 1.77 times the volume of the 3/8" line. Do you really need that much gas?

Thats the whole point, Randy . . . for a very long time Ive wanted to build this engine so I can burn ALL the extra fuel the Prius (et al) driving pansies are saving !! Whoever doesnt want to drive a super cool looking, 500+ horsepower muscle car (re Mustang) needs to let his wife/girlfriend keep his testicles in her purse.

"Mach1Mark" said:
"Midlife" said:

Whoever doesnt want to drive a super cool looking, 500+ horsepower muscle car (re Mustang) needs to let his wife/girlfriend keep his testicles in her purse.
Sure, bring :mark into the discussion.

3/8" will feed a big block at 550 hp without starving it and it is definitely easier to run. Also the fuel will flow a little quicker and not heat soak as much if that is an issue. The biggest concern here would be to do proper bends and a single line from the pump to the fuel block. Every fitting and bend that is smooshed a little will make whatever you choose flow like a smaller line. I would/have run a single SS 3/8" line with nice smooth bends made with a Swedge-loc hand bender and never had a fuel starvation issue. With a decent electric pump at the tank you will be fine with room to spare.

Back