• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What to look for?

RustyRed

Dave, if you were in need of a family law attorney (i.e. custody / divorce issues) what would you be looking for?

My thought was find a serious bulldog litigator type?

Good luck with this one....

My first instinct would be to find a woman lawyer, which when faced with a similar situation I did. Biggest mistake ever. Woman lawyers are..... and this is based only on my experience..... completely worthless. Am I basing my opinion on only one experience? Yes. Why would I be stupid enough to hire a second one after the first one failed so miserably?

Here's the story.

We needed a lawyer to help settle Gabby's divorce/custody issues. We talked to several lawyers that were too busy to take on another case, but all highly recommended their associate Mrs. X. We met with Mrs. X in her established office and discussed our desires. At the end of the meeting I handed her 40 $100 bills out of my pocket to retain her services and get started. Two months later her phone is out of order, office is closed up, she's declared bankruptcy and is in the process of being disbarred from the AZ Bar association. What did I get for my $4k? The pleasure of telling you to stay away from lawyers, especially of the female variety.

Okay, so female lawyers are definitely out of the question.

My best advice to you is to hire a lawyer that's now in private practice that used to be in the public sector. These lawyers seem to be most effective. If your old DA or Asst. DA is now practicing privately in the area, consider them for the top of your list.

Understand also that 98% of all legal work is done by para-legals. Shake your local tree to find the best para-legal staff and you'll find your best local lawyer.

When I hired my lawyer, I met with the big dog of the firm. I liked his attitude and that we was short and had a complex.... He made the comment that he doesnt lose, I liked that. He ended up handing my case off to one of his minions, which saved me money since she was at a lower hourly bill rate than he was.

She knew a LOT of people. First, we needed a mediator, she picked a lady that was a former nun, former judge and very friendly with the judge we ended up with. It looked really good when I went to court that we had tried to mediate, the mediator explained in her notes that I had tried, the mother was difficult. Then we needed a counselor to do the social study on my house, my son, his mothers house etc. The counselor she picked was the former clerk of the judge, also worked in my favor. If you read the counselors report you would think I walked on water. I swear when she was at my house she was trying to set me up with her daughter... It didnt hurt that I had already had custody of my son for almost four years before his mother decided she wanted to be one, but it sure as hell helped that we had the people that we did.

The best part of the whole thing was when the lawyers had to introduce themselves to the court they stood up and explained who they were, how long they had been practicing, etc. They also had to say how much they charge per hour. I was pretty proud of the fact my lawyer kicked her lawyers @$$ at $200 an hour less!!!!

Between Jeremy and I, we have some experience under our belts, let us know if you need any advice.

Yeah, I just may be needing that advice soon. I am about done with this crap I've been going through that borders on emotional abuse.

I talked to a guy a few years ago. He was the kind of trial lawyer where I was his client and he was a little intimidating to me. I am generally not easily intimidated after years of fighting the IRS, etc. I'd hate to ever have to be grilled by him on a stand as the opposing party or something along those lines...he had that same kind of air about him as the hard core old gunny Sergeant type personality. I seriously considered doing something then but didn't more due to for concern about how it would affect my kids then anything else. After wasting another several years of my life I am revisiting that decision.

I am debating calling that guy again to chat because he was a real bull dog that's been around a while. Not sure what I'll do just yet but I am certain I've pretty much had enough and need to do something.

hire some blokes with no necks to sort it out for you.
might be the cheapest and easiest way out

Not sure what I'll do just yet but I am certain I've pretty much had enough and need to do something.

Who's the bread-winner in the household?

If it's you.... and you're the one that want's "out"..... it's usually going to cost you a LOT more than any legal fees to get your freedom.

Don't sweat it though... life's too short to be stuck in a bad relationship. Get your freedom/sanity and the rest will follow.

My suggestion would be don't project your anger and emotions in making your selection. The meanest, bulldog lawyer will make you feel good and may get you the results you want; however, that approach will probably draw the process out, costing you big bucks. In a lawyer I look for competency, honesty as what to expect in results, and a keen knowledge of human nature.

Just a thought here, but don't get carried away since anything said here could be used against you when the time comes.... Are these discussions better served in a password board? Maybe im being a little paranoid, but its just my 2 cents.

I would agree with Jake, move it to FGOFL and do not link to it.......just to be safe.

Yep, this post needs to be removed and re-started. All it takes is an opening of the page and a printer. Contact a mod and it will be done.

"silverblueBP" said:
I'm feeling philanthropic and generous this evening.

I guess you just got done donating to Haiti again?

"blue65coupe" said:
Yep, this post needs to be removed and re-started. All it takes is an opening of the page and a printer. Contact a mod and it will be done.

Just one more reason why the WWSD board should be PW protected. Another Idea, Is it possible that instead of having password protected boards, to have a password protected section? Like one password gets you into all the really cool boards in one mighty swoop?

"blue65coupe" said:

Excuse me, Mr. Duane, sir, but I sure do hate to see you like this. What if me and the boys was to shoot that plumber dead? Would that pep you up some?

"lethal289" said:
Just one more reason why the WWSD board should be PW protected.[nb]Ain't gonna happen[/nb] Another Idea, Is it possible that instead of having password protected boards, to have a password protected section? Like one password gets you into all the really cool boards in one mighty swoop?[nb]No[/nb]

Moving it to a passworded board would be a moot point since anyone can ask for the password.

It's already a matter of record anyway. All someone would have to do is go look at one of those sites that store historical versions of websites.

Sheldon is a pretty sharp cookie. I'm sure if he had some unfounded fear of posting it, he would not have posted it. If he would like it removed or moved I'll do it.

Dave does not care to have this board passworded anyway.
barbrady.png

It fine with me if you want to move it, guess it's not a bad idea :)

And to answer Dave's question, I make decent money but she actually makes more. I am Mr Mom after work most days when she isn't dragging in from work till 9:00 or later at night. If she left, I am pretty sure the kids wouldn't notice for the most part.

Back