• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What Transmission? Driveshaft? Rear End?

BlackBullitt22

Alright guys so I am pretty much dead set on putting a 351 Windsor motor in my 69 Fastback, I still have some time seeing as I am still in the process of stripping/repairing/removing rust from the Unibody.... but I do want to know what to look for... I am going to try and pick up a used 351W off craigslist... have it rebuilt/etc and ready to go (Does the year matter?). Now what I need to know is... what is a good trannsmission for this? C-6? TKO-600? I don't mind stick or auto... I just want something solid/reliable for what I intend to do with the car... so onto what I intend to do with the car... basically.. a little bit of everything.. take it to the track and occasionally the 1/4 Mile, drive it to work here and there, etc... I currently drive a 2008 GT "Bullitt" Edition and I wouldn't mind having that same kinda 5 Manual Tranny in my 1969 but from what I have read.. thats not exactly cost effective... so however close I can get to that...

Also (had to break that wall of text).. What Rear End/Axle/Diff should I get? From what I have read a 9 Inch is the way to go... how/where is the best way to get one of these if that IS the best way for me to go?

And lastly.. what should I do about a driveshaft? Depending on my Tranny/Rear End combo?

Thanks for any help you can give.

- Brandon

My first suggestion would be to make sure you really know what you want this car to be. It gets real expensive, real fast, as your objectives change along the way. I've bought many a part for mine only to realize I wouldn't need it as my direction in the build changed.

If you are going to drive on the street you'll want to have either a 5 speed or an auto with overdrive. If you want decent performance at the drag strip your rear gear will almost mandate it as well.

I wouldn't be so fast to chuck the 8" in favor of a 9" either. Unless you are going to really build your engine and launch it hard, a simple rebuild with a good gear set, traction lock and axles will most likely suffice. If you're gonna dump the clutch at 4 grand with slicks...go 9" and 31 spline.

Your stock drive shaft with new and stronger u-joints should be good to go.

I guess what I am saying is be realistic about what you need vs. what you see others do or is the latest "must have".

Thats great, and what I want to hear... the internet is good at confusing people.. Good to know my Driveshaft is good to go.. that saves time and money.. as for the Rear Axle.. I plan to drive the shart [mod]welcome, check the pw boards for no language restrictions[/mod] out of this thing.. maybe not dropping hte clutch from 4k on slicks... but maybe 4k without them..... sounds to me that a 9" will be the way to go... where would I go about picking one up? Also what is a good 5 Speed Tranny that will mate to a 351W fairly easily?

Welcome aboard Brandon. I'll second what Horseplay said. Know what you want first and why you want it. Don't build the car to something that is not gonna suit your driving. With that said, where do you live? I've got a complete '74 LTD sitting out back here in NC. What kind of transmission was in your car previously? Going from auto to manual or vice versa could cause driveshaft length issues. What is most of your driving gonna look like?

BTW, I edited your post. Not many rules here but the pw boards is where you can let the language fly. We try and keep it pretty tame in the general boards. No big deal.

I think you should look at JohnPro's '69 "Scary". He runs a stroked 351 (408, IIRC) with a TKO (500 or 600, IIRC). He setup seems darn near bullet proof. Might be a good place to start.

Alright.. to be more exact on how this thing will be driven... the area around me has plenty of twisties I like to drive hard quite often.. I am a pretty spirited driver. As for what tranny was in the car.. I am not 100% on what it hard... originally is was a I6 Automatic.. when i got it last month it had a 302-2V V8 in it and I am no sure what kind of transmission.. there was a clutch pedal installed on the car but it also came with a Automatic Shifter Bezel/Lever...... the car is basically a shell now and the plan is to start from scratch.

Also before I forget I apologize for the language didn't even realize I had said anything.

"BlackBullitt22" said:
Also before I forget I apologize for the language didn't even realize I had said anything.

Not a problem at all. We're just glad you're here. We try and keep all curse words out of the general forums. We have other places to let stuff fly. BTW, rule #1: Pics, we want pics of the project.

Dude, you come in here with a project '69 fb. +1

Then you cuss in an open forum. -1

Then you apologize. +2

And now you break out the facebook???? -100

Just giving you a hard time....it's just I have this Facebookophobia thing going on. I think of photo albums on coffee tables as face books.

"BlackBullitt22" said:
I have pics on my Facebook.. in my albums. My facebook name is Brandon Crandell.

And there are 5 of you...and unless we are "friends", we cant see your pictures.

Welcome aboard Brandon.

The big question I have is: What's your budget? We'll be able to help you piece together a perfect combination of drivetrain components, but it really all depends on what kind of money you have planned/budgeted for the project. Being on a shoestring budget is a lot different than a "I don't care how much it costs" budget.

For what you have planned/mentioned so far... 351W.... 5spd.... 9" rear.... (which by the way is a very nice combo)..... Your budget can be anywhere from $3k to $40k. That's a BIG range.

Keep in mind also that the stock 351W was never really a "performance" engine in stock form. Will a stock 351W light up the tires? Sure it will, but it's not really a "monster" motor in stock form. Better cylinder heads, intake, carb, headers and cam will certainly wake these motors up.... stroking the motor to 408 or 427 cubic inches will REALLY wake the motor up. All of these things cost money. The more reliability combined with performance that you're after, the more money you're going to need.

Copy the pictures URL from your FaceBook page and you should be able to paste it here. This forum also has a built in photo gallery where you can upload any/all of your photos.

Ignore Duane's FaceBook phobia..... we just went through the whole "FaceBook" thing a couple weeks ago.... LMAO....

Duane has an internet phobia where he really doesn't like his photo to appear anywhere on the internet. We gather in Myrtle Beach in the fall to hang out and drink beer. Here are some typical photo's I have of Duane (blue65coupe). He's wearing the orange t-shirt....

015-8.jpg

019-5.jpg

021-4.jpg

022-3.jpg

001-21.jpg

He actually posed for this one....

005-16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
LMAO Dave! I forgot about the last one. Didn't Gabby get that shirt from the beertender or something? Oh yeah Brandon, we hijack threads like it's nobody's business.

Nah, some mini shirt the FEMALE beertenders wear IIRC. Gabby got one, I like Jim Beam, we were drinking, she said I wouldn't wear the shirt...........................

Back