• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Whats the first question people ask when they see your mustang?

DB, that is a great lookin engine bay and from what I can see, so is the rest of the car. More, more , more pics. please. :) Oh, welcome to the insane house of stangs.

"RapidRabbit" said:
The other question I get is .... How many miles are on it? Anyone else get that one?
I've gotten that one a few times, I just say.. 9,XXX just like the odometer reads. One believed it... :craz

"SAC69" said:
1. "Is that a Mach 1?" ("No" and then they seem disappointed.)

I was at a show recently when a '70 Mach 1 pulled in. Had Mach 1 decals, and "351" on the hood scoop. The driver popped the hood, and then went around back to do something. This kid next to me (maybe 11yo) said "I bet that's a boss 302" I said "Nah, It's a Mach 1 with a 351 W. Easiest way to tell it's not a Boss is that it has Windsor heads, not Cleavland." He looked up at me and kinda nodded. Then the owner walked back to the front and the kid said "Is that a boss 302?"

LOL.

Steve

"Fast68back" said:
I would think the big stripe down the side that reads BOSS 302 would be the easiest way....... :beat

LOL

I was specifically talking about the engine. One COULD transplant a Boss 302 in a non-boss car. Happened once or twice. Though usually not with a *REAL* BOSS, but that's beside the point.

I've had a couple of people ask me if my convertible engine is a Boss 302. The usual conversation is "What engine do you have in it?", with my reply "It's the original 302." They then reply "A Boss 302?" I've tried explaining the differences between a 302W and a Boss 302, but I usually get a blank look in return. Hey, I just appreciate the interest in the car.

I think the best reply I ever heard to an engine question was in the old movie Hot Rod, guy asks the star of the movie what he's running in his Willy's coupe and he replies, "Black and decker aquarium pump, G2"

Normally thumbs up if at traffic lights,or at gas station they say you must have an account here as usa cars are known as gas guzzlers over here in u.k.

"GT350" said:
Normally thumbs up if at traffic lights,or at gas station they say you must have an account here as usa cars are known as gas guzzlers over here in u.k.

I try to only go to empty gas stations for the most part unless I am just killing time and not going anywhere particular.

I don't normally have the time for folks that want to "chat" and tell you their car stories from 100 years ago.

"RustyRed" said:
I try to only go to empty gas stations for the most part unless I am just killing time and not going anywhere particular.

I don't normally have the time for folks that want to "chat" and tell you their car stories from 100 years ago.

Like the time I got chatted up about the Boss 301 a dude had in high school?

"Sluggo" said:
Like the time I got chatted up about the Boss 301 a dude had in high school?

My neighbor never fails to come over when Im working on the car and wax rhapsodic about the '65 coupe he had in high school with a 307.

most people that take a guess will ask if my car is a 66, then ask if it has a 289. When I open the hood they look and then ask if it is a 428, even though I have a big 429 sticker on the air cleaner and my licence plate says "429 V8" then, when they finally get that it's a 429, they ask if it is original. I always say nothing on the car is original. I am glad people take an interest however, and I know what you guys mean about gas stations! I think every time I've put gas in it, at least one person approaches or asks to take a picture or something... it does feel good I have to admit. When I built this thing I knew what I wanted but wasn't sure how others would perceive it.

Is it real? Yes, it is real (don't specify what it is)

Did you buy it new? um, no, I am not that old.

"AtlantaSteve" said:
Let me guess...that was the original motor, too, right?

Well...if the engine was bored 0.030 over, then it's pretty darn close to being a 307. He could just be trying to be exact on the displacement, or the could be smoking crack and blowing smoke up some un-name orifice.

:lol If you met my neighbor, you'd know in a second he's blowing smoke. He's one of the bigger bullsh*tters I've ever met.

I have to agree on the gas station thing also... Thats where most questions come from. When I got my 69 running for the first time, I was out giving it a run to see what worked and what didnt. The car looked terrible. I stopped at a station to put a few bucks of gas in her and before I could finish, a Police officer walked over. I thought he was going to bust my balls for the bald tires, no inspection and everything else obviously wrong with the car. Luckily he was a car guy and envisioned the finished car and told me how awesome this car would be when finished...
Untitled-8-1.jpg

I know it’s not mustang related but….. I got “how many clowns you got in the trunk?!� When I was in my Alfa one time, thought that was pretty funny.

Back