• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

whats your opinion on changing car from its orginal color?

pnandy

so whats your opinion

i have been set on changing mine from candy apple red to black i dont care about it getting dirty faster as i wash my cars almost every weekend. candy apple red is the orginal color. if i kept it red id put white stripes on it

You worried about re-sale or what? If for re-sale, it would most likely go better as original as possible. If you are keeping it for ever, then do what makes you happy. Paint it black and drive the heck out of it.

I like the saying, "its your car do what you want/will make YOU happy", that said, my car is originally highland green and to me, in my mind it will always be a green car. I strayed from highland green to get some POP in the color/paint. Green is not even my favorite color, its just that this car is one of the oldest memories of early mustangs I can remember and its always gonna be green. My dad even asked me why I wanted to keep it green.

CandyAppleRed is about the most desirable red for Mustangs (and resale) there is. Midlife is an original CAR color, and I was about to change it when I bought it. However, the color really grows on me, and now I wouldn't change at all. A CAR colored Mustang that is true to the factory original color designation would make the car even more valuable. I vote to keep it.

I vote to do what you want.  This is how my car started life.
Juliets1stbirthday011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Change the color. You can always paint it back to original. Do what YOU want and make YOU happy. It's your car.

I changed mine from grabber green to grabber orange.

Yep, color is easy to change back. Do what you want and enjoy it.

The only beef I have with color changes is when someone also changes the data plate to match the color change, especially when they then enter concours competition with a falsified car.

"Laurie S." said:
Yep, color is easy to change back. Do what you want and enjoy it.

The only beef I have with color changes is when someone also changes the data plate to match the color change, especially when they then enter concours competition with a falsified car.

Yeah, now I wouldn't do that.

My plans when I was looking for a 65/66 fastback was a white Shelby clone, so I didn't care about the color as long as it was a V8 and 4-speed. However, the car I found turned out to be an original GT as I was able to trace it back to its 2d owner in 1968 and to the dealership that sold it in 1966. That said, it's original color was candyapple red which I was not crazy about. But I felt I owed the car to keep its overall appearance like it originally was. For me, it was a nostalgic thing as well--I was 19 years old in 1966 when I owned a new 1966 Mustang. As others have said, it comes down to what the car means to you.

Keep in mind, black is going to require some expensive (or, if you do it yourself, time intensive) body work. It'll show every imperfection in your body work.

That said, go for it:)

the body is already straight as can be and wont be very labor intensive painter has already seen car and said this

Re: whats your opinion on changing car from its original color?

A little late to this BBQ but here's what I did. My car was originally Vintage Burgundy. At some point in its past it was painted Acapulco Blue, then a couple of different shades of Burgundy. The car was a 10 footer when I bought it and over the next few years the multiple layers of paint aged less than gracefully. When I made the decision to strip the paint to the metal and repaint, I determined that I liked the tone of the original Vintage Burgundy but I wanted a deeper look than the factory paint. After looking at a number of different paints I stumbled upon a new Mercedes Benz that was painted Bordeaux Red Metallic. I had my painter do brush outs of this color as well as a couple of the other final contenders (Porsche Arena Red & a similar GM color I had seen on an Escalade). After careful study, I pulled the trigger on the Bordeaux Red as it had the combination of the deep look and the correct tone I was looking for.

Judging from the compliments I continually get on the paint, I suspect that a future owner of this car will have no problem with the fact that it is not a "stock" Mustang color.

Back