• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

where do front tires rub on 65/66?

65-408

Trying to get the front end rough aligned, so I can pick a tire size, wondering where the tires typically rub?

And are you lowering the front end? 620 coils? Arning drop? Yes the front of the tire when turning, rubbing against the front part of the fender.

On the first set of rims that I got, they had too much back spacing and they rubbed on the upper control arm. On the next set, correct backspacing, but when I got it aligned, the shop used the adjustable strut rod to pull the tire all the way forward, and they rubbed on the front fender lip.

I had minor rubbing on the front lip of the fender; same spot as the others, so I rolled my fenders. Unfortunately, I did not roll down far enough to eliminate all the rubbing.

At the time my set up was 225/60/15, 4.5 back space and drum brakes. My front end was lowered 3" from stock, using NPD lowering springs, tires, and the Arning drop. I also use a 1/8" spacer so the inside of the tire can clear the upper ball joint.

Since then, I switched to 205's and no rubbing issues.

For increased clearance, have you rolled your fenders yet? All you need is a baseball bat and a helper.

205's
Picture083a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Notice the 225/60/15 trend....

Even with the correct backspacing, this is 99 times out of a 100 an ill-fitting tire size. Measures can be taken to make ANY combination wheel/tire size fit onto the car, but the further you get from a "stock" size, the more drastic the measures will be.

Lastly, from my experience.... 90% of people who are running larger than stock size tires or an odd backspacing amount that state "yep, they fit without rubbing" really mean to say... "yep, they fit without rubbing as long as I don't hit a speed bump in a parking lot while the tires are turned" or "yep, they fit without rubbing unless I have 4 adult passengers in the car and hit a bump in the road".

"Slight" rubbing under certain conditions seems to be acceptable to a LOT of people. This is fine with me, but.... tires that interfere with "the car" under any normal driving condition "do not fit", period.

I'm using 17x8 wheels with rolled fenders and no rubbing.

4.5" backspacing and 235/45/17 street tires.
4.75" backspacing and 225.45.17 race tires.

No rubbing no matter what I do with the car or who is in it. I am using our shorter UCA so that is helping a bunch.

"Shaun" said:
I'm using 17x8 wheels with rolled fenders and no rubbing.

4.5" backspacing and 235/45/17 street tires.
4.75" backspacing and 225.45.17 race tires.

No rubbing no matter what I do with the car or who is in it. I am using our shorter UCA so that is helping a bunch.

Thats what I wanted to hear... I know it depends on the car, which is why I am mocking mine up, prior to buying tires...

I have 17x8 wheels w/4.5" backspacing and would like to go with 235/45/17 tires all around. I have roller UCA's that are stock length, but have incorporated LCA adjusters so the uppers shouldn't need to be shimmed out much unless I need some for castor correction. Springs are 620 1" drop and I have done the 1" Arning drop... I will roll the lips, and it looks to me that the only problem area will be the lower front corner of the fender and that this area could be easily midified to clear...

Am I missing anything?

Shaun, do you have any pics of yours with the street tires on, looking to see tire to lip, and tire to the problem area?

Thanks,

Jeff

I went 205 15's on 7 inch styled steel wheels on the front and have zero issues.

Back is 225's on an 8 inch and they don't rub either but that has nothing to do with the front.

"65-408" said:
Shaun, do you have any pics of yours with the street tires on, looking to see tire to lip, and tire to the problem area?

ttm_black3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks shaun, looks perfect to me...

Just curious, how much shorter are you UCA's than stock? checked out your website and didn't see a number...

Also what street tires do you run? looking at Nitto 555's

I can't remember for sure but I have a feeling that picture was taken before we made UCA's. I could be wrong though. Either way I've run my car and sold tons of wheel setups with that wheel/tire size and stock type controls arms. For 65-66 cars I recommend a camber kit so you can take out all the shims on the UCA and set camber with the camber kit on the LCA. You may be able to get enough positive caster with our adjustable strut rods but some cars with this wheel/tire combo end up with the tire rubbing the front corner of the fender. The wheel can also look too far forward when you look at the car side on. The fix is to shim just the front UCA bolt to add caster there, then use the strut rod for fine tuning.

I'm using Sumitomo HTRZIII's. They are cheap and good enough for the street so I can save my pennies for the sticky track tires!

Back