• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Which MSD distributor do I get?

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
I want to order a MSD dizzy with the separate box. Which dizzy is correct for a cleveland?

Look at #s, 8580, 8577, 8350... They are all for the Cleveland. The 8350 gives you the Billet distributor, without the need for the MSD box. Just a thought.

What lethal289 said. I'm using the 351w equivalent of the 8580 in my 408. Since mine sees occasional track time at the drag strip, I wanted MSD6-AL to go along with it. FordMuscle did an article once on the ET advantage of the MSD6 boxes. They dropped a consistent .3 seconds, IIRC, just from the box.

Besides running an external box, you have to decide if want a vacuum advance (I didn't ... I didn't build a 408 to try to get good gas mileage). You also have to decide what cam you're going to run, so you get the correct gear on the distributor.

When I bought mine, MSD didn't have a single distributor that came with a steel gear for a 351w (not sure if they have an option now), so I had to also purchase the gear (another $65) and R&R it.

Craig, I am using the 289 equivalent ready to run distributor in mine with out the box. I have not logged any serious miles yet, but I have been happy with it so far.

Back