• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Which Shifter Handle?

I love those white hurst ball types and will eventually put one in Fred but really like that T handle in your GT.

"cmayna" said:
Actually it's not the amount of HP but more the way the owner is going to be driving the car. I find the T handle not very comfortable for it forces your hand to mold to it's odd shape. Do we really need that amount of mass on top of the shifter stick?

Ok,,,,,,maybe it's just me.
+1 on driving style. The T handle to me says drag racer. So you can more easily keep hold on those hard 2nd to 3rd slams and not bust your knuckles on the dash. I always liked the look of a ball better (not that billet one, though, sorry).

"stangg" said:
If it were my car I would use the traditional white Hurst ball and mount the switch somewhere else. The seperate tethered wire tied to the nice chrome handle looks unfinished to me... I'm guessing that your only going to be activating it when you take long trips, so it shouldn't be too inconveneint if it were mounted under the dash, or maybe custom shifter bezel with an integrated button.... Another thought is foot operated switch like used on the high beams.

I thought about this way back when and wanted it on the shifter. The more I think about it a switch under the dash wouldn't be that big a deal since I will only be in 4th over, although the switch on the handle would allow instant shifts from say 1st to 1st over off the line, many drag racers use it for that.

Need to decide very soon as I need to run the wiring, this was much easier when I was going to use a console.

"gtscode" said:
I thought about this way back when and wanted it on the shifter. The more I think about it a switch under the dash wouldn't be that big a deal since I will only be in 4th over, although the switch on the handle would allow instant shifts from say 1st to 1st over off the line, many drag racers use it for that.

Need to decide very soon as I need to run the wiring, this was much easier when I was going to use a console.

That drag race option sounds very cool... I didn't know you could do that. I like the hurst handle better than the chrome one.

If you are trying to keep with a more tradional interior (say with a white hurst ball and all), then how about mounting two switches in paralell. An inconspicuous one for normal family cruising, and then wire up the hurst knob with the tether on a plug... When you plan on doing some spirited driving, swap the handles and plug the tether in under the dash somewhere. When done with the spirited drag runs, unscrew the handle, unpug the tether and throw it in the glovebox 'til you need it again... Easy to switch between the concourse and modified looks without losing the OD feature.

BTW, I've had a hurst T handle (old style without the Italicized lettering) and a standard round knob in my 65 chebby ... The T handle tends to get old (in terms of comfort) after a while. The round knob is definitely more comfortable for frequent driving IMO...

"stangg" said:
That drag race option sounds very cool... I didn't know you could do that. I like the hurst handle better than the chrome one.

BTW, I've had a hurst T handle (old style without the Italicized lettering) and a standard round knob in my 65 chebby ... The T handle tends to get old (in terms of comfort) after a while. The round knob is definitely more comfortable for frequent driving IMO...

.......and living in a highly populated area where a lot of shifting is required.........

I've got the t-handle with the button hooked up to the line lock. It works great for that. I haven't figured out how to make the wire look better yet. Form follows function in this scenario for me.
Justin

"Jcode68" said:
I've got the t-handle with the button hooked up to the line lock. It works great for that. I haven't figured out how to make the wire look better yet. Form follows function in this scenario for me.
Justin

A polished stainless steel tube ran down the back side of the shifter with the wire running thru it would work. You could mount some small pins on the shifter side of the tube and then drill some small holes in the edge of the shifter for the pins. Use something like JB Quick Weld to mount it. Just a thought.

"AzPete" said:
A polished stainless steel tube ran down the back side of the shifter with the wire running thru it would work. You could mount some small pins on the shifter side of the tube and then drill some small holes in the edge of the shifter for the pins. Use something like JB Quick Weld to mount it. Just a thought.

Thats a good idea. Any idea where I would get said tube?
Justin

"Jcode68" said:
Thats a good idea. Any idea where I would get said tube?
Justin

Brake line might work. Shape it and have the pins installed. Polish it and mount.....

Most likely a do it yourself as I have never seen one. Just had an idea since I have seen many wires running down the shifter lever.

I've had both. Trust me, if you want to bang some gears in a hurry it's the T-handle all the way. I liked the look of my white hurst ball much better but for practicality, it's the T.

"monkeystash" said:
Craig does have a point...and I a solution. If you turn the handle almost vertical, say 10 or 11 o'clock, it fits perfectly in the hand. I have a T handle in the Goat and have it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how I like my T-handle.

Well I think I'll start with the t-handle and I can always swap it out later.

If I hate both a switch somewhere else may be the ticket.

It feels good at 10:00 and the button seems to be in a good spot.

I don't think the ball would be as bad once the rest of the interior is in.

I have some ideas on the wire and plan to make it look as cleans as possible. But while the tube idea is great it's too permanent.

Back