• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Which temp sending unit do I need? Color me confused...

MD69Boss

Suspected Troll
I have been getting the Boss back in order pretty much since May with the headlamp wiring harness fire, replacing the intake manifold, replacing the starter with a mini-Torq and am happy with the progress, save for the temp reading I am getting on my Auto-meter guage.
When I replace the intake manifold, the old temp sending unit was a very slim unit fitted into a brass sleeve that was screwed flush into the front of the manifold in the hole for the temp sending unit.
Upon replacing the manifold, I installed, what I thought was the right temp unit that I got from my local NAPA auto parts.
However, upon starting the boss, within three to five minutes the temp guage, (Auto-Meter gauge that worked perfectly before), would rise slowly from 100 degrees to fully pegged hot.
I was/ am able to pull the radiator cap and can put my hand on the manifold, so I am confident that the temperature reading is inaccurate.
Subsequently, I have regrounded both the block and the harness ground just beneath the voltage regulator. As my other gauges are working fine, I am not convinced this is a grounding issue.
I have also, decoupled and reconnected the headlamp harness beneath the dash at the firewall.
I have removed the radiator, and had it pressure tested at a reputable shop. Interestingly enough, I had to scrap the NPD cap I had as it failed the pressure test. (POS!)
I went to Autozone and installed a second temp sending unit specific to a 69 small block Ford, I was told.
With the new unit, ($8.99), the temp gauge reads on start up 150 degrees, and creeps to almost pegged, but not quite over the course of 5-8 minutes. I must honestly say, I am not convinced this is the correct unit either, having since paged through the NPD catalog....
For 1969, they list one unit, and for 1970, they list four different units, two for with a temp light and two for with a temp gauge...
I am also considering a new gauge, but want to ensure that I have the correct temp sending unit as I am tired of buying anti freeze! :cens
I used a lighter coating of sealant on the threads to rule out the sending unit is not grounded.
Is it possible I need to replace the gauge?
I am picking up an infared temp reading gun tomorrow, I think, but I am quite certain the motor isn't running hot.
Any thoughts welcomed...
By the way, the Boss is running fantastic!

I would look at the gauge model number and go to auto meters web site to find the correct part number of the sending unit you need.

Thanks mate! :thum
I called AutoMeter, got the part number, found a dealer ordered the part and am picking it up tonight!
Interestingly enough, there is the necessary SBF adapter in the manifold I removed from my car, but as it is flush with the face of the manifold, I am unable to gain purchase to exert enough force to remove it.

Yes, #2258, and I appreciate the offer on the temp gun, but I need to get one anyways, thanks buddy!

I had the same problem with my 69 302 after I converted it to a 4V. I was driving it one day and the temp gauge started to move back and forth until it pegged on hot. I replaced the sender with a brand name unit from NAPA and it did pretty much the same thing. I was concerned that there was something going on with the aluminum manifold. I finally decided to buy an original Ford replacement unit, which was about three times as much as the other brands. Couldn't find a Ford unit so I bought one that was AC Delco (ptewy!) for about twice the price of the other brands. All my heating "problems" disappeared. I later bought a heat gun and it confirmed that the readings on my gauge were as accurate as one can expect from a stock 45 year old unit. It would appear that, no matter whose after market unit you buy, they are all made in China and are basically crap. A second AC Delco unit might not have worked either.

"RagTop" said:
...no matter whose after market unit you buy, they are all made in China and are basically crap...

Nonsense, the Autometer gauge I have is spot on, and has given me no trouble since new in 2010...
The issue with mine was my use of an unmatched sending unit...
I can't label all aftermarket gauges as crap, especially in light of the reliability of stock gauges...
BTW - pretty sure Autometer gauges are American made... just sayin'

"MD69Boss" said:
"RagTop" said:
...no matter whose after market unit you buy, they are all made in China and are basically crap...

Nonsense, the Autometer gauge I have is spot on, and has given me no trouble since new in 2010...
The issue with mine was my use of an unmatched sending unit...
I can't label all aftermarket gauges as crap, especially in light of the reliability of stock gauges...
BTW - pretty sure Autometer gauges are American made... just sayin'
Please re-read my post. The "unit" I was discussing was the over the counter replacement sender that you can purchase at most auto parts houses, not the gauge itself. I would assume that, at the price of Autometer gauges and accessories, they would be accurate. All I was saying is that the stuff you buy at NAPA or Autozone or whatever auto store are generally Chinese crap. Was that nonsense?

I did re-read your post, and believe I interpreted your comments correctly with my response...thanks...

"RagTop" said:
It would appear that, no matter whose after market unit you buy, they are all made in China and are basically crap. A second AC Delco unit might not have worked either.

Ah hah! There's the important word hidden in Ken's original reply, which I now associate it as sending unit. If so,
then I wont argue too much about the possible quality of imported stuff.

Back