• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Who sells the best quality bumpers?

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
My 65 came to me with re-pop bumpers so a re-chroming is not really a consideration given the cost new re-pops. Like most other parts, I'm sure there is more than one manufacturer of replacement bumpers. Who sells the best quality bumpers? I'd appreciate any input provided. Thanks.

Terry

I've heard good and bad things about Nordan bumpers, apparently the older ones are much better quality than the new ones they offer. IIRC, this is the brand, or one of the brands that NPD sells. I've also heard about the "bumper boys", IIRC they are a rechrome place that sells some reworked original bumpers or will/can rechrome yours. Hope that helps.

The Nordan bumpers are still pretty good for most years. They are horrible, though, for '69/'70 rear bumpers. This wasn't always the case, as I had a great fitting Nordan bumper on the back of my daughter's '69. About 8 years ago, or so, though, Nordan started using a different manufacturer, and that's the quality took a nose dive on certain bumpers.

After me and couple others bitched and moaned for a couple years, NPD went and found a new distributor, and NPD told me they are very good. I didn't try it, though, because while they were searching, I decided to go a different route and found a good original one that I'm going to rechrome. Rick Schmidt at NPD, though, is a real standup guy and if he says these ones fit good, I believe him.

Though very expensive, I'd go with finding some originals and have them rechromed. Shag's rear one was done that way. I have a NOS Nordon front and will see how it fits but odds are I'll have an original rechromed for it as well.

Really appreciate all the input. I have bought almost all my "stock" parts from NPD so far and have been happy with the service and quality...so I guess a phone call is in order to see exactly what they can provide. I'll keep an eye out for any NOS or used originals as well. Thanks again.

Back