• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Who's running a Champion 3 row aluminum radiator?

Mine is only a 2 row Made by (HOWE) with 1.5" tubes and is 29Lx19H, sorry didnt see Champion. mY radiator was $250, 3 years ago so I am sure it has gone up by now.
I couldnt fit a 3 row due to my pulleys. One of the best things I ever did was go to an aluminum radiator. I also use EVANS coolant (no water at all).
I swear by the stuff, and if anyone wants to cruise in a 100+ degree day come on down, I'll be right there with ya without hesitation. That coolant allows you to run a 7lb cap or less which takes all the pressure off the entire cooling system (headgaskets, hoses ect..)The coolant has a boiling point of 400deg. I have never seen a temp over 180 in the last 2 years.
Make sure whatever fan you use (electric or mechanical, that the shroud covers the entire radiator and not just where the fan(s) go.
My radistor is a http://www.howeracing.com/c-450-racing-custom-aluminum-radiators.aspx

They can make it to your specs http://www.howeracing.com/c-453-howe-custom-radiators.aspx

Attachments

• 3020340112_medium.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 139
I just bought a champion aluminum radiator for mine. It's only a 2 row though and I haven't installed it yet , but it looks good.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

I got mine (4 row) with dual electric fans. I haven't driven it in the middle of the summer yet, but so far it's been great. Once the thermostat opens, the temp never gets above about 182.
Justin

Can't help with the Champion, but my Northern 2 row works GREAT!

Sluggo,

I suggest you take a good look at this one. These guys make NICE radiators right here in the U.S. Their tech explanation is pretty good. I had one in one of my cars and loved it. Never an issue.

Re: Re: Who's running a Champion 3 row aluminum radiator?

"Horseplay" said:
Sluggo,

I suggest you take a good look at this one. These guys make NICE radiators right here in the U.S. Their tech explanation is pretty good. I had one in one of my cars and loved it. Never an issue.
Which one. I see no link.
Sent from android powered phone using tapatalk.

I've also been considering which aluminum radiator to use for the past couple months. I've come to the conclusion that the Champion radiators are inferior products. The main benefit of going to aluminum is the ability to use much wider cooling tubes than with a brass/copper design. The Champion radiators only use something like 3/8" or 1/2" tubes, which makes them no better than most good copper/brass versions. Other radiators, like the Northern or PCP (the one Horseplay recommended) use two rows of 1" tubes for increased surface area. The really nice radiators (BeCool, Griffin, etc) use 1.25" or bigger tubes.

I've pretty much decided on the PCP for my car. The price is right, and reviews seem to be good.

Well, all I can say is my engine builder insisted I go with Northern. Since he specializes in racing motors and chiefs a pit crew at Laguna Seca, I wasn't about to question him and I'm glad I didn't in this case. Not the cheapest but sure keeps the cleveland cool.

I might just spend the money and get the griffin muscle car series.
I'm looking into pcp now.

I did not go with a Champion, and might regret my choice, but I did pick up a 2 row aluminum radiator. It's the same one all the parts houses carry, so we just picked it up locally. The stamping on the box is 0339-2AA Aluminum radiator, google it, you come up with lot of choices. Maybe in this Austin heat, I might have to upgrade, but for now this is what I've got.

The price was right, and it's seem well made, only time will tell. -Mark

I am running a Champion 3 row. Got it off ebay for $120 shipped to me. It has been running fine for 4 months. Has yet to see Summer heat.

The ecp is looking pretty good. I'm waiting for an email from them to see if they can build a 24 inch with right in right out connections.

I also vote for northern, Got it from Universal Parts (link posted above) but from their Ebay shop, 2 weeks ago.
Have not installed it yet.

I had a Griffin but it sprung a small leak near the fill neck

Back