• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Why do repop torque boxes suck so much?

manley

I replaced the LH torque box today and it was simply horrible. It's not formed like the originals at all. I'll have to take pics next time I'm over there.

First thing, the front RH flange that fits against the frame rail is bent forward instead of backward. This actually works out okay, but is still incorrect.

On the inside-car point of view, the left hand top flange is split about 1/3 from the top and they are offset nearly a half inch. I'm going to have to cut the lower 2/3 off and weld a new piece on because it's just too far away from the inner rocker panel.

The LH bottom flange simply isn't there, so I'm not sure how I'm going to weld it to the inner rocker. I might have to make my own piece here.

On the RH side, the entire flange is again missing....so, there is nothing to attach it to the frame rail. This is another piece I will have to fab up, I guess.

The only reasonable explanation I can come up with is that these parts are designed for people not replacing the toeboard or floorpan. but if that were the case, the LH flange on the inside would cause a problem.

These are the worst parts I've used so far! I had some problems with the inner fender aprons, but not nearly as bad as these torque boxes. Thank goodness most of this crap will be hidden under the floor! I'm using the HD one piece boxes from NPD, BTW. I'm thinking I should have bought the two piece version.

Ok... I'm done venting. I still have the RH side to do, though. Haha! :)

tarafied1

a lot of the repop stuff fits like crap. I think the Dynacorn stuff might be best just because they actually assemble bodies out of their stuff but I don't know that for a fact. I did my car before Dynacorn was making parts.

I learned on the passenger side to take the one piece torque boxes apart to weld in. Makes it a ton more easier to get them in plus you can weld the insides to make it stronger.
Also the word "massage" is the code word for re-pop anyways.

mustangstofear

Your problem is the one piece,we just installed the left and right and went in like a dream. Check out our build on the Eleanor forum, We will post the build on our facebook page. Rich.