• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Will a Maverick 8" fit my '66 mustang coupe ok?

Forgot to also ask... Can I just change out the drums to convert the 6 cylinder rear end to a 5 lug so my wheels fit? Not changing the motor anytime soon..

"toddwallace" said:
I need a 5 lug rear end and found a ford maverick 8" that is complete. The guy told me that it is 3/4" shorter at 56
yes I had a Mav rear in a Stang once and they are narrower but will fit.

"toddwallace" said:
Forgot to also ask... Can I just change out the drums to convert the 6 cylinder rear end to a 5 lug so my wheels fit? Not changing the motor anytime soon..
you would have to re-drill the axle flanges to the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. It is probably possible but you would need a good drill press and want to be very accurate so you don't get them off any. Then pressing out the old studs and in the new ones needs a "press"

"tarafied1" said:
yes I had a Mav rear in a Stang once and they are narrower but will fit.
you would have to re-drill the axle flanges to the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. It is probably possible but you would need a good drill press and want to be very accurate so you don't get them off any. Then pressing out the old studs and in the new ones needs a "press"

Do yo think that it being narrower will cause me to rub or have fitment issues. I was told my 67" was to wide and don't want issues after I but it.

the 67 is 2" wider total I think and would risk rubbing the fender/quarter panel.
The Maverick rear should still work with stock rims. I had Cragers on mine but did bolt stock rims on with no rubbing.

"toddwallace" said:
I have boxes of older drums that are 5 bolt.. Will those bolt up?
I'm not sure if the 4 lug and 5 lug are the same diameter. If they are same diameter and width they should work but you still need to re-drill the axle flanges.

Back