• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Window regulators

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
My windows are always a bear to wind up and down. I took the driver's side panel; off and all seems to be in normal working order.

Is it just the fact that the grease seems to be original and needs replacing?

Should I clean as much of the old stuff off and re-apply? Axle grease? White lithium?

Suggestions?

I don't know if this could be an issue with yours, but the two rollers that are mounted to the lower door glass frame on my car didn't spin too easily. I cleaned them as much as I could to get them to free wheeling again. If you don't want to remove the glass to service them, you might try to spray some PB Blaster down in that area to help dissolve any crud within the wheels... it might take a few treatments... I used white lithium grease to lube the channels up when it was all set. If you don't like the smell of PB blaster, you might try some other penetrating oil.

Clean and lube them and make sure the rollers work freely. Them check for binding as you operate them. There may be some minor adjustment needed.

I pull up on the window while rolling it up. Of course, that requires getting out of the car first. It rolls down just fine.

Damn Federal regulators and associated Regulations...always restricting what one can do.

There's an assist spring?

Umm.... yes.... it is the big roundish coil-y looking thing in the middle.... :whis

MS1946-C.jpg

If they snap makes it much harder to wind up as it loads up on the way down. if you can push your window down by hand it is a good sign it broken, missing or slipped off the mounts and is not doing its job....

Okay then....looks like I need new regulators.

Now how much of a pain is replacing them?

Mikey,
Why not look to see if the spring is broken before you start ripping the doors apart?

I took the panel of the other night. That's about all.
I'll check over the weekend. Kind of doubt that the spring could just be replaced..Can it?

I was first was just going to clean up the and lube the mechanism.

I have only seen one broken spring out of many, many vehicles. I vote to clean lube, and adjust if no visible damage.

Back