• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Windshield & Backlight Installation.

Larry G

Hi All,
Since getting my car back from the shop things have been rolling along quite well.
Got most of the exterior trim pieces back on, installed the painless wiring harness, (everything works) extra insulation on the floors, carpet, console and dash are in.
I called a guy that installs headliners and was quoted $300, for a $31 headliner, decided to do it myself, and after buying a couple extra spring clamps and a bag of clothes pins it turned out perfect. I could have messed up a lot of $31 headliners for $300 but I only needed one.
So now I'm on to installing the front and back glass.
Any Tips, Suggestions, Cautions, except dropping the glass, I know what will happen, or comments.
I have 3/8" rope butyl and primer for the front glass and a new gasket, 3m urathane caulk for the rear.
I'm trying to locate some suction cups to help install the glass.
I think I'm pretty set to give a try, what do you think?

Larry,
Sounds like you are doing a great job in assembling the car. You are a brave guy to do your own headliner and glass install. This is one area I have always farmed out. The only advice I can offer you is the reproduction seals are not enough to seal the glass properly to prevent leaks. You need to use lots of glass caulk or sealant (whatever the glass community calls it) as well.

The only other advice is:

:WOP

larry,

first let me start by saying i installed glass for 22yrs. the urethane sealant will work fine to backfill the windshield but wont work very long as a rubber gasket sealant. it won't adhere to the rubber unless it is primed with a special primer for urethane & that gets really messy & tedious to do. you need to get some "glazing & bedding compound" for the rear. i can PM my cell# if you would like to discuss the whole installation process & some tips i can provide.

Get a helper. One person on the outside and one on the inside to get the glass centered and the gasket started. The rope in the gasket is the best way to get the lip of the gasket over the pinch weld all the way around. I also second the 3M bedding and glazing compound. Good luck!

What year car is it? Installing a '69/later windshield is nothing at all like installing an '65-'68 windshield.

If it's is a '65, installing the screw on clips first is mandatory. You will not be able to install them afterward. '66-'68 you can install the clips afterwards, but I agree with Dave ... easier to do it before.

Backlite is pretty much the same (other than the molding clips) for all years.

Thanks guys for the replies,
Later that day after posting this tread a couple friends dropped by with hands and a couple of suction cups and in a few hours the glass was in.
All is good

Back