• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Windshield.. with no sealant

Kats66Pny

Are there any issues - besides leaking - driving around with a windshield installed without any sealant in the gasket or around the outside of the gasket? It wouldn't pop out would it?

I ask because I don't want to fully seal in the windshield before body/paint is done. I want to be able to remove it easily when that time comes, but I also want to be able to take it on test drives to make sure it runs and drives ok. Obviously I also don't plan on driving it when raining or even letting Gertrude get wet, not even baths!

Plus I don't like the idea of taking test drives cruising up and down the road with no glass. :hide :puk
bugs_in_teeth.jpg

"mustangstofear" said:
The only problem I see is breaking it when you are ready to take it back out. It would be better to put a used one in.
When we redid my interior we did it before we painted the car. My wife and I put in the glass and then had to take it back out for painting. I wouldn't recommend trying to save the rubber gasket. Just cut it like it was an old one or you do risk breaking the glass.

The sealant doesn't really prevent the glass and gasket from coming out in an accident; the sealant is only for moisture and isn't glue like today's mastic.

Ok so really then, it wouldn't be too big an issue not using sealant then. Good because the thought of eating bugs is just nasty. LOL

The sealer also acts as a lubricant for the windshield gasket when pulling the lip over the flange. You will want to use something there, maybe dish soap.

I've done this a bunch of times. Put the car into epoxy primer and then install the windows before blocking. It keeps loads of sanding dust and overspray from getting to the interior. Also, if the car sits for a while why you are working on something else it doesn't get fouled by other projects in the shop.

Back