• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Winter projects, what do you have planned?

68EFIvert

Since the crappy weather is upon us here in the Great NW I have started to tackle some of my winter projects. I just replaced my alternator (not so much a winter project as maintenance). What do you have planned for the Mustang or other project this winter?

Here is a list on my projects. Most are pretty quick projects except the oil leak and exhaust.

Repaint the dash and door panels
Rut a resistor on my Autometer gas gauge so it reads the right level
Install my JBA shorty headers so that I have more ground clearance
Identify the engine oil leak (I am pretty sure the rear main seal) and fix
Install helper springs on my front coilovers
Install my new Focal component speakers once I get my new kick panels from Mustang Depot.
Trim my center console so that it follows the contour of the dash a little better and gets rid of the 1/8" gap that is driving me crazy.

So lets see your to do lists!

This week's plans are to replace the driver's side floorpans and torque box. As winter sets in, I'll work on replacing a 1/4 panel and whatever metal needs work. I hope to have all the metal work done before spring. That is if work and money cooperate

Going to install torque boxes and convertible inner rockers and seat pan in the 66 coupe along with a full containment racing seat and quick release steering wheel. Will also play around with some rear suspension ideas for testing next season.

Let's see....
Drive it
Replace headers for clearance
Drive it
Install new door seals and other small rubber items
Drive it
Front end alignment check
Drive it
Finish rear seat modification
Drive it

Did I mention......driving it?

OK, on the 67 I have an electric issue I need to cure, speedo cable replacement, and many other small issue before I take it to the paint guy for a repaint.

On the 65, strip the interior down and make the dash a metal dash. Send Kat my dash pad. create and install the new one piece headliner, figure out what seats I am using and make the fit right, and then to the upholstery shop for the custom design I am thinking about. Strip paint from body and prime. Get the neighbor to help me paint it.

For the house, Cabinets, Cabinets, Cabinets, clean windows inside and out, fix a hole in the wall, clean up the crappy mess from the sewer backup and reinstall the now cleaned up carpet. Sand and refinish the front door, caulk and paint window trip and paint all baseboards.

If that isn't enough I have to squeeze in some driving so I have money to do it all.

I haven't even seen SWMBO's list for me.....

Mel

Well Shiaattt!!!!
I have no Mustang to really work on. Red's running just fine and Shag is terrorizing the neighborhood as we speak. I'm so desperate, I'm already working on the Chebbie truck since it was so patient while I was working on Shag.

I just started my winter project on Monday. I bought UCA and spring perches from John and also a template to do the drop. I have a problem with my drivers side shock tower, the reinforcement bracket that is welded(suppose to be) to the tower is broke loose and I needed to pull it back flush to the tower and weld it. That's done but after I drilled the holes for the drop and I tried to install the UCA and one of the holes is smack dab against the reinforcement lip. I can't get to it to grind it down because the engine is in so I decided to delay the drop until I take the engine out in the next year or two. No biggy. Boy, both of the UCA were shot. After the front end is done I will take care of rebuilding the pedal support, I think it will require the roller shaft assy. because the holes are egg shaped. Then:
New water and oil gauges
purchase and install retrosound radio
purchase and install 1 inch sway bar ( ohhhh Shaun)
Clean and paint my rearend ( it really needs it bad)Stay away Kev

I think that will keep me busy enough during these cold winter months. I figure I will go thru maybe 15-20 gals of kerosene to keep me warm and kozy while I drink, I mean work out in the garage.

I hope to have my POS yellow car 100% road worthy for spring. Still need to do rear suspension/ brakes and reseal the differential. Might change the gears while I'm at it. I have no plans of painting it. It shall remain ugly.

With a nearly blank slate to work from, I'm sure I can find plenty to do.

Gear swap and installing the rear end.
Finish up installing front suspension.
Steering.
Drop in the 5.0 and AOD.
Fabricate AOD support.
Plenty more to do, but time and money will run out before the list does.

Replace the cowl vent & windshield
New Brakes all the way around
Finish redoing front & rear suspension
Interior... install carpet, dash cluster, etc

That's what I'd like to get done before spring...but we'll see how that goes.

Here is my winter project list.
Custom console with help from Rich at mustangs to fear. Call it the console to fear.
Borgeson power steering box
A/c overhaul

This winter I will be pulling my tired old 302 and dropping in the 5.0 efi and Aod that I picked up this summer. which of course will lead to a thousand other "while I'm at it" projects. New radiator and some engine bay rust repair. Maybe a new exhaust system too. :scar

i have everything needed except a clutch kit to install my 4 wheel disc brakes & the t-5 swap. if i end up with a couple slow weeks after those swaps are finished, i may finally put some paint on.

i'm also searching for another t-5 & 5.0 to get things rolling on the triumph swap. as soon as i find those, i can get the fab work done for the swap & get the suspension rebuilt.

After finding more rust and rot that needs my attention in the wheel housing area and the lack of parts to finish it :nk I guess I'll focus on getting the driver side floor pans finished up along with the toe board and rear upper torque box cover. After that, I'll move to the passenger side and try to get the front torque box in place while replacing the toe board and possibly the floor pans. If I can successfully pull all that off then I'll notch my shock towers.
Bill

Sheet metal work, all of it I hope.

1. Finder apron / battery box replacement
2. Minor floor pan repairs
3. lower quarter panel replacement
4. Minor holes in drivers door & drivers side front fender.
5. Block & Prime body.

I forgot a couple more projects. Install an vacuum pump on the engine that is mounted under the passenger side fender. The last thing is to put on clear 3m Bra material on the rockers and behind the rear wheel.

My winter will be spent in the sandbox, so come spring the resultant moula will be spent on a aluminum intake and carb for the '78 F-150, perhaps even an a/c conversion kit for it too, and the upcoming projects for the Fastback include pulling the carpet back out to lower the seat risers, and possibly pulling the headliner out for one of those mustangstofear hard plastic headliners with the built in console.

Edit: after looking at some of the other posts... one of the first things I'll likely do to the fastback is lower it some, likely change out the rear springs and cut the front coils.

Back