• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Winter projects, what do you have planned?

Great topic :) I have been working on my 66 fastback the last year in a half and have had the mustang apart and waiting for a paint job for the last 7 years.Finaly got it painted little while ago.We have been working on the 66 and these are what we plan on doing this winter to the 66.

(1) Have finished installing front disc
(2) Have finished the new brake lines &installed prop valve
(3) we Have installed the new gas tank and sending unit & new 3/8 stainless fuel line with a Frame HPG1 Fuel filter installed by the rear tank also installed a 3/8 shut off valve on the outlet side. all inlet & outlet done with AN fittings and braided hose.
(4) will be redoing the rear brakes and making new rear brake lines
(5) taking 3rd member out and checking it for play and fixing it if need be
(6)putting rear end back in mustang
(7) having the front brake lines painted & Installed along with the shock tower brackets that the shocks bolt to painted
(8) finally getting the mustang back down on the ground would be nice
(9)Putting the flywheel & clutch assembly together along with the blow proof bellhousing\
(10)installing motor ad tranny all at once
(11) installing a complete new wiring from painless or Ron Francis..has anyone here ever installed a ron francis wiring.
(12) If we get tired of working on the 66 project We will work on the 1971 boss 351
Anway it all deppends on how the finances go as to how fast I get the 66 done. I plan on having it done around end of may.Keep up the good work guys.I learn alot just by reading what you guys have done.God bless

Almost forgot..Hey 68efiVert sorry about the great Northwest having such crappy weather. Here in the Great NorthEast tri citys Kennewick Richland &Pasco washinton. it was 61 and sunny today and tomorow it is to be 66 and sunny with a few clouds hanging around.We have 360 days a year of sun shine here. Mowed the grass today worked on the 66 outside today..Camas is a great town we go though there on the washington side when going to Kelso.

Never Mind 68EFIvert your right the great northwest & northeast is having crappy weather....lol

For the last year and a half I've been working on my '65 El Camino. Practically rebuilt the body, new suspension, just rebuilt a 12 bolt rearend for it a few weeks ago. Hoping to refresh the engine next month before it goes away for the winter. don't click if you are allergic to chebbies.
My sister has been kind enough to let me keep the Mustang over at her place during the good weather months but I'll need to bring it back home soon so she can have her garage back.
Once the Mustang is back in my garage I hope to finish up a few things.
1 Hook up directional lights on the hood scoop.
2 Paint parking light bezels highland green. (forgot to bring them to the painter when the car was painted.)
3 Install strut rod or the trunk and re align trunk lid.
4 Install rear seatbelts.
5 Upholster the steering column. (I retrofitted a fox steering column in mine)
6 Make a new coil mount.
7 Make a new upper radiator mount.
8 fix oil drip... thought it was the rear main, but might be leaky valve covers.
9 Make front sway bar links.
10 Have leaky rear coil over shock rebuilt.
I'm sure I'll find more to do.

1. new leaf springs
2. new heater core (this is a big maybe, it's reportedly a huge PITA)
3. new brakes all around

My Driver
1 Build / Install Passenger Seat Slider Extension
2 Fit / Paint / Install R-Code Valence
3 Fix Cluster Turn Signal Light
4 Fix Rear Window Defogger
5 Fix Temp. Gauge
6 Install Tachometer
7 Install Tilt Column
8 Install Transmission Cooler
9 Make / Install Radio Plate
10 Polish / Install Aluminum Radiator

My Wife's Mustang
1 Fix Driver Side Door Latch
2 Check out electrical
3 Check out and Paint 289
4 Cover Passenger Seat
5 Finish Driver Door
6 Finish Passenger Door
7 Install 289
8 install Gas Cap and Filler tube
9 Install Heater
10 Install Steering Column

My list is a bit optomistic since there is a newborn in my house, but here is my wish list for the winter:

• Fabricate square tubular engine crossmember to clear lowered engine
  • Purchase and install new rims and tires
  • Rebuild rear 9" with TruTrac and new gears
  • Install front and rear Cobra disc brakes
  • Paint rear interior panels due to PO's shiotty paint skillz
  • Clean and detail engine compartment and undercarriage

Good question! Got me thinking...

1) Replace upper ball-joints. These are the originals that were on the upper control arms when I replaced them 9 years ago. The driver's side is squeaking and the passenger side is showing some cracking in the boot. Might as well keep them the same age. Give me a chance to use the pneumatic hammer to knock of the rivets (RRRrrrr...).

2) Re-wire Rally-Pac and Fog Lights. In the Spring I was chasing down a short and I eliminated all non-essentials. Time to put them back and they need all new wiring anyway. I might even see if there is a replacement clock available for the Rally-Pac that actually tells time...

3) Attempt to chase down the transmission leak for the umpteenth time, and adjust the neutral start switch that got messed up by the transmission shop that I had rebuild the transmission in attempt to stop the leak.

4) Fix Fuel Gauge - this has been done a few times before too. I think it might be the float sinking this time... (these last two made me think about using that "beating a dead horse" icon)

Right now I just need to finish the electric fan project!

I really can't think of anything I need to do to the Mustang. Maybe change the oil at some point.

Need to put some new brake pads on my Explorer and probably take the rotors over to O'Reilly for a check and have them turned if needed while I am at it.

Looking at some misc. cars for sale so who knows. Might find one I want to take on...or not...

I really don't have much I need to do on the mustangs. I plan to replace the upholstery in the 68 coupe, it's original and getting tired. After that I may start tinkering on the 64 fairlane if it doesn't sell.

"RustyRed" said:
I really can't think of anything I need to do to the Mustang. Maybe change the oil at some point.

Need to put some new brake pads on my Explorer and probably take the rotors over to O'Reilly for a check and have them turned if needed while I am at it.

Looking at some misc. cars for sale so who knows. Might find one I want to take on...or not...

On my 78 F-150 I had a spring pop loose on the rear drums which resulted in a groove in the otherwise almost brand new drums. I took them to Pep Boys to get turned down, and the guy told me he was just going to turn the drums down to minimums vice watch it and stop cutting when the groove was gone. I said no thanks and went and put them back on the truck as-is. WTF, some business model, cut the drums to minimum so next time they come back they HAVE to buy a new drum from you.

"sigtauenus" said:
On my 78 F-150 I had a spring pop loose on the rear drums which resulted in a groove in the otherwise almost brand new drums. I took them to Pep Boys to get turned down, and the guy told me he was just going to turn the drums down to minimums vice watch it and stop cutting when the groove was gone. I said no thanks and went and put them back on the truck as-is. WTF, some business model, cut the drums to minimum so next time they come back they HAVE to buy a new drum from you.

I use the local NAPA. They also have a machine shop. I would never use Manny, Moe and Jerk for anything, I've seen too much.

Mel

I would be glad if I could rebuild my rear end to a 3.50 trac-lock or something alike.
Any info is welcome here.

"68EFIvert" said:
Here is an update to my todo list. Where are you guys at on your projects?

Repaint the dash and door panels DONE
Rut a resistor on my Autometer gas gauge so it reads the right levelDONE
Install my JBA shorty headers so that I have more ground clearanceDONE but need to take to exhaust shop to connect the old to new
Identify the engine oil leak (I am pretty sure the rear main seal) and fix
Install helper springs on my front coiloversDONE
Install my new Focal component speakers once I get my new kick panels from Mustang Depot.DONE
Trim my center console so that it follows the contour of the dash a little better and gets rid of the 1/8" gap that is driving me crazy.DONE
One other item I added to the list is to have the gears adjusted in my rear end. They whine a bit while under load. I should have the exhaust and rear end done by the end of the month. Just in time to clean my garage up so that we can put the house up on the market to sell. Good luck with that one.............

"RapidRabbit" said:
This winter I will be pulling my tired old 302 and dropping in the 5.0 efi and Aod that I picked up this summer. which of course will lead to a thousand other "while I'm at it" projects. New radiator and some engine bay rust repair. Maybe a new exhaust system too. :scar

Well, I bought almost all the necessary parts( and some unnecessary) so far.
Started tearing apart the old motor, And this is as far as I have gotten. I have a vacation planned for March to get the engines swapped. Plan is to have it complete by mid may so i can join Craig on the power tour. :steer
IMAG0151.jpg

Back