• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

wiper delay question?

gwstang

On the 66, do I use the bracket that came with the motor from the truck? Or do I just swap the truck motor onto the 66 bracket? How about the bell crank? Thanks, gary.

No pics, I haven't actually started yet as I am just working out the small details first. I have the stuff to do it with the next time I am off work. I'm going to pull the drivers seat to have plenty of room as I hate working up under the dash on these cars. I have some websites on the swap book marked if you are interested in the swap. They detail what to get at the picknpull. I am just a little unsure about the bracket and the bell crank on the motor.

http://www.thecurb.org/Webazine/Pits/iwipers/Rev_Iwipers.htm

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/485555-single-speed-wiper-dual-spd-w-intermittent-cmaynas-recipe.html

http://www.techlib.com/files/wiperkik.pdf

Use your original mount, but note that the new 2 speed motor will not bolt up quite the same way, meaning how the 3 feet of the new motor sits into the holes of the bracket.

Bell crank? I'm confused with this terminology when it comes to the wiper application. Are you referring to the arm on the motor? It's been such a long time since I did Red's setup I forget. But it should become very obvious once you compare the original motor with the new motor.

I assume you know when you go picking, go for a motor out of a early-mid 70's truck such as a F150. The switch I got came out of a early-mid 80 F350 truck.

Update:

I just took this pic showing Red's original wiper motor on the left with an extra 2 speed motor on the right. As you can see the single speed motor still has it's arm attached. Thus I must have used the 2 speed motor's arm. The reason is that the 3 legs of the 2 speed motor do not recess into the bracket as far as the single speed motor. Meaning that the 2 speed motor itself sits further away from the mounting bracket. Thus you need to use it's arm which is more offset.

4_26_05_10_8_09_15.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much Craig. I already got the motor/switch/delay box awhile back. Just looking at a few small details that you have gotten straight for me. Thanks again! :vic

Most excellent. Also keep in mind that the switch's shaft is a little too long so plan to cut it and grind a new flat spot for the knob.

Just an update, I got 'er done and I did not have to cut the shaft for the knob. The truck switch came with a nut on it and I just used that to offset it back a little and then the bell up against that and it worked perfectly after a couple of adjustments. I had to add a ground to the back of one of the bolts on the motor, I guess the rubber mounts insulated the motor and it needed a separate ground. But I now have 2 speed interval wipers. Thanks for the patient help on this. Gary. :10

Back