• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wiper Issues

janschutz

Corn Hauler
I have Wiper Issues on both stangs. :wtf

Last week, I was driving my dark blue 68 coupe in the rain and the wipers stopped working. They started back after about a couple minuets and then would work for about 5 minuets. They keep that up all the way home.

Last night on the way home from work, I was driving my Diamond Blue coupe and it was raining again. This time the wipers stopped about 2 miles from home and they never restarted.

So now both 68s have wipers that are not working or reliable. Any hints of how to trouble shoot this?

Loose connections to either the wiper switch or motor? Cannot imagine it being anything mechanical.

-Check the fuse
-Turn on the wipers and wiggle the connections, see if anything moves, if not, bang on the wiper motor and see if does anything.
-Check power and ground at motor and work your way back to see where the problem is.

The only fused portion of the wiper system is the return to park feature, IIRC. Main power is directly tied to ACC power from the ignition switch, bypassing the fusebox.

Tonight when I turned the ignition switch on the one that quit this morning, they did not home, nor did they move when I turned them on. I then checked the fuse and it was OK.

Feeling under the dash, I saw a bolt was missing ion the bracket that the wiper motor mounts to. When I pushed on the motor, Is moved and is very loose. The wipers later homed when I started the engine. I think it was bound from having a loose mount. So one is solved.

Back