• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wiper Woes

PJ Moran

During my rebuild, I removed the wiper assembly and overhauled it. I took the “transmission� apart and cleaned and relubed it. The linkages were cleaned and lubed, etc. I may have even overhauled the motor itself (don’t remember). I bolted it all together to the lower cowl before installing the lower cowl onto the car.

My windshield wipers are out of sync. They don’t move in unison. At the beginning of each cycle, the left one pulls down about an inch (and taps the trim) before moving back up. So, it looks like it lags behind the right one a little bit. It parks fine. I have to set the left blade a little high so that when it cycles, it doesn’t hit the trim.

I have an extra assembly out of a parts car and don’t see how this can go together wrong. There’s a left and right arm and pivot. The motor goes in only one way, etc. So, I’m lost.

Does anyone have any experience with these things and any idea what’s causing this problem?

Could the pivots ( the thing that stuck out of the cowl and where the wiper arms are attached to ) be switched?
Maybe the lenght of the little arm ain't even in lenght ?
Yes , the rods are marked Left and right as i can remember.
I think i have some laying around , will check them out.

The position the one is parking in is not correct. The fact that it makes a move down towards the cowl before going up indicates it's pivot is out of position or wrong.

The action under the cowl is not a back and forth movement but a circular movement at the motor and the rods then move back and forth.

Is it possible to have the part coming thru the cowl in the wrong clock position not allowing the park to be in the proper position?

I have another wiper motor. I looked at it and see that the arm that bolts to the shaft can go on right or 180 degrees out. I can see no way of telling which position is correct. I think what I have done is put the arm on 180 degrees out.

Unfortunately, when I plug the other motor into the harness, it doesn't work. So, I can't tell where the arm is in the park position. If I knew where the arm was pointing in "park", I could possibly tell if I got the arm backward without taking it out.

Removing the wiper mechanism in a "loaded" car like mine is a major job.

Back