• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wiring question on a 65

truck90278

We have replaced all the harnesses in our 65. the main harness that was in the vehicle initially was for lights. the unit we replaced it with is for instruments. There is a heavy gauge black/yellow wire with a male bullet connector coming out of the harness that is always hot. Also there is another heavy gauge black wire with a female connector on it in the same area. It is my understanding that the black/yellow wire is for the ammeter and that this wire goes thru a "loop?" on the ammeter. Is it correct to assume that these two wires should be connected together?

Thanks

I believe those wires have to be wired into a "shunt" when converting from idiot lights to gauges. Wait for a reply from Midlife. He should know, he repairs harnesses.

You are exactly right: the two wires (one male, one female bullet) must be plugged in together for the car to function correctly. That said, if you do not pass the wire through the loop at the back of the 65 (65-only style ammeter gauge), the ammeter will not work, but the car will just fine.

That line carries all of the hot signals from the battery to the fuse box, ignition switch, and headlight switch. The good part of this design is that if the ammeter is bad, the car still works. The bad part of the design is that the ammeter rarely works as intended.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks midlife, we will not be using an ammeter. We will be using Autometer gauges and a voltmeter instead of an ammeter. With that, I will proceed to plug the two together.

Do you have any experience with wiring in a Flaming River steering column?? having an interesting situation their. When I started wiring by FRs directions, when I turn on just the tail lights (headlights in progress-not completed yet), with the ignition switch off, the tail lights come on as expected. However, when i turn the ignition switch to "on" the tail lights both flash as if the car was set up for emergency flashers - note that the turn signal switch is in the off position. One person mentioned to me they had experienced an error in FRs instructions - that the wire indicated as power to the switch was actualy the flasher circuit and the wire identified as the flasher circuit was actually the power to the swich. any Info??

thanks for your help

I cannot vouch for aftermarket wiring systems. I wouldn't be surprised if there were errors.

Back