• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

WIV

Grabber70Mach

Ok thought I would see What's it's value, I have the chance to get a factory tilt steering for my 70. What do these usually go for, its still in the car and I will do the removal to make sure I get everything I need including the rag joint.

Went and looked at it today and unsure weather to get it or not. It seems to not lock into 2 of the tilt positions fully, if you wiggle up and down on it, it will pop out of that position. The second thing I noticed was that the lockout leaver for the transmission located under the hood is rusted off, I am not presently using this with the AOD I have in the car. Third thing I am concerned about is the turn signal switch, I understand that these are hard to find and I cannot confirm weather it works or not. What would you all do?

"Grabber70Mach" said:
Said I could get it for 500.00

Wow! My car is worth more in parts than it is whole. I was thinking about selling but I guess I will just start parting it out.

Tilt wheel - $500
Original Shaker - $2500
Sport Lamp Switch - $250
Original Hurst Shifter Knob - $125
Top Loader - $500+
Original Louvers - $???
Original Console - $250
Original Map Light - $150
Original Hood Trim Backing Molding -$125

Man this stuff adds up.

Yeah the hard to find parts sure add up.

Repro turn signal switches for tilt columns are available in reproduction. NPD has them for $180.50 on page 159. You can get the tilt head on Ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-70-Mustang-Mach-1-Tilt-Wheel-Column-Head-Deluxe_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2ea5d65dc9QQitemZ200350784969QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories but no guarantee that the problem isn't the other part of the column. Lockout lever not a big deal if you aren't using it. I've never messed with the internals of the tilt column, but with it popping out of place in two positions there may be something wrong with it. I'd use that and the lockout lever as bargaining chips to knock him down on the price a little. $425 IMO would be a better price considering the unknowns we are dealing with....although I'm sure they sell for much higher on Ebay and when you get them they are sloppy (tilt up/down).

"Mach1ne" said:
Wow! My car is worth more in parts than it is whole. I was thinking about selling but I guess I will just start parting it out.

Man this stuff adds up.

You are right about it being worth more in parts, that is if you want to take the time to sell/find someone to buy all the parts.

"buening" said:
Yeah the hard to find parts sure add up.

Repro turn signal switches for tilt columns are available in reproduction. NPD has them for $180.50 on page 159. You can get the tilt head on Ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-70-Mustang-Mach-1-Tilt-Wheel-Column-Head-Deluxe_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2ea5d65dc9QQitemZ200350784969QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories but no guarantee that the problem isn't the other part of the column. Lockout lever not a big deal if you aren't using it. I've never messed with the internals of the tilt column, but with it popping out of place in two positions there may be something wrong with it. I'd use that and the lockout lever as bargaining chips to knock him down on the price a little. $425 IMO would be a better price considering the unknowns we are dealing with....although I'm sure they sell for much higher on Ebay and when you get them they are sloppy (tilt up/down).

Went to look at again today, the rag joint is torn, are they the same as the regular rag joints? Didn't get a chance to talk to him as he was leaving the shop. Do they make a viable aftermarket replacement, I'm going more of a resto-mod than stock but would definitely like a tilt wheel.

Yea that is pricey, so you cannot use the repair kits for the rag joints that are offered? All the pieces for the joint are there just the rubber part is torn.

Ahh, sorry I misread your post. I believe the rubber parts are the same so you should be able to use the repro stuff.

"sigtauenus" said:
Looks like a pretty standard rag joint to me. Any idea what is different about it?

The portion that the end of the steering column slides into is somewhat D shaped, whereas IIRC the fixed column end is round splined. The rubber and the metal section that is splined for the steering box are the same AFAIK.

Back