• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Working on wire harness, wondering of someone knows??

Lemondrop

Ok, I dug through boxes and boxes of stuff to find a handful of parts I need to start doing anything on the car. I got my main harness and tail harness out and have started refurb work. The main harness is pretty much OK as it is but I am going to do some meter testing to be sure the wiring is not broken before installing it. The tail harness had the fabric covering on it and the covering has pretty much rotted apart. That said, I am having to tape it back up (not factory but better than loose wiring) and can't figure out the layout for a couple wires, where they exit the harness at. Also the fuse box has some rusty fuse holding clips. I am thinking of acid washing them but wondered if anyone knows of a conductive paint that can be applied to the contacts or if I should try and "tin" them with lead, like solder. Anyone got an idea? Hoping Midlife might chime in.

Try sand-blasting the fuse clips/leads (front and back of the box). Then apply dielectric grease to all exposed areas to prevent further corrosion. Insert fuses and see if any of the clips break off. There are replacement leads available from NPD, but the metal is not the same and is very brittle to crimp the wires onto the leads.

I can provide good fuse boxes with pigtails if all else fails, but I need to know what year and whether 65 is GT or standard, and 66 is early or late.

Mine has the odd-ball 64.5 long fuse box. I wonder if the wiring harness book will show a good enough routing of the tail harness to figure where to retape it at.

If you examine the wires carefully enough, they tend to retain the break-out bends. The break-outs should be at the left and rear tailight buckets and the license plate area (license plate light and ground). There's a long stretch between the connectors at the front and the LH bucket. You'll need to secure the wires away from the hood hinge area; typically there is a plastic piece braided into the harness that fits into a small hole above the rear fender for that purpose.

I have two wires I am not sure of the route. There is a green with red tracer and yellow wire. The yellow I know is the fuel level sensor wire. The green/red tracer I can't recall it's use, but I'm thinking that is the color the interior lighting uses (off the top of my head). I think this might be the wire that stops back under the quarter window but I thought that 64.5's did not have that but can't remember for certain. Mine is a June 8th build so it might be added by then or had them from the get-go. It's the wiring for the deluxe interior lighting that I am thinking of, dunno if they used it in the convert and thus used the same harness in both coupes and verts.

Edit to add it might be a green with orange stripe, color is hard to tell after 40+ years.

Edit again...... can't find my harness diagram. Anyone got a clue what the green with (red or orange) tracer is?

Yeah, kinda figured that out from the schematics I found, though I was not sure which side turn signal it was. Now I guess I will have to trial and error the harness in. The yellow fuel sending unit wire is the last unknown which is not a huge deal but I will have to lay the harness in the trunk and see where the yellow wire's exit from the main harness will fall and then mark it with tape.

By chance do you know where the yellow wire routes inside the trunk? I know it floats across the floor from the drivers side and exits through the trunk floor on the pass side (right above the fuel tank in the corner). I just can't recall how it comes down to the floor, I'd guess it came down the inner fender on the drivers side.

It breaks out before the top of the fender well, comes across the fender well behind the back seat wall, taped to the drop-off floor, and then down to the gas tank area, across the tank and into the hole on the other drop-off floor. You should obtain the Osborne Electrical Assembly Manual: it shows all of this.

I obtained it, loaded it in a box and then moved it 20 miles. Stacked said box with 15 or so boxes full of parts and stuck them in my new shed a year ago.

In 3 hours today, I located my wiper gearbox/arms, firewall insulation, and all the wiring harnesses for my car. I found 3 of the books I bought as two were inside the car at earls house and one was on the shelf in the shed with my glove box door (new in box) :)

Back