• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wrap

Thanks for the input. I didn't think a wrap would please me but since it is original I thought I would ask. Yes that's her on the left, and no, she isn't a rare car. The color is currently that dark metallic green from the 60s known as Jade Black or Black Jade by some. You've convinced me to paint it...now I just have decide on the color.
My son's '69 SportsRoof was Acapulco Blue from the factory with a standard blue interior. By the time he bought it in '94, the car had been repainted to some shade of maroon resembling Vintage Burgundy, but without the metallic. Later we had it repainted to Royal Maroon, an authentic '69 color, but he hated it and eventually had it repainted a darker non-metallic shade of maroon. I had a '69 Corvette had a scruffy original Le Mans Blue paint job and I didn't particularly like it, but the car was a matching #s 427, so I had it repainted in the same Le Mans Blue. The painter did a magnificent job on the car and it wound up winning a best paint job award at a really large Corvette show. After the repaint it was really stunning. I'm not a big fan of Black Jade either. Looks too much like olive drab. But if the car is original and in good shape, have it repainted in the original color. If it is otherwise modified then you can do what you want. Please don't wrap it. I've seen guys who painted vintage Corvettes with Rustoleum and a roller (lotsa between coat sanding) that I would prefer to a wrap.

The paint was very poor right from the factory. Most of the green paint on the hood is now gone with the the primer exposed, but strangely the black on the hood is in good shape. The top of the drivers headlight bucket is down to primer also. There's a spot where a broken garage door spring bounced off the quarter panel, and a rust spot on the passenger door by the weep hole. I'm sure it could be made to look much better with a complete detailing and some selective painting, but I'm guessing the stripes would be very difficult to remove. What hasn't fallen off by now is rock hard. Can these really be removed without destroying the paint below or adjacent to them? And then there are 47 years of door dings. I would be happier with a new paint job in a color I'm not tired of.
You can generally remove vinyl striping with a hair dryer and a plastic scraper. You may leave some adhesive on the car, but that can be removed with any commercial goo remover. Your local sign shop probably can fix you up with an adhesive remover called Rapid Remover. It's orange oil based and has a strong citrus aroma, but it will turn old adhesive into jelly very quickly without damaging the underlying paint. You should probably get all that rust and those dings and dents removed and have the car professionally painted by someone who will block sand it thoroughly. You'll be amazed at how good the old bus will look.

Back