• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

WTH is up with these seatbelts?

blue65coupe

'65 and I ordered new from NPD. Old seatbelts had triangular mounting brackets that were completely flat. These are rectangular with a bend in 'em about 15*. That would be great if they would sit flush against the floor and angle towards the passenger. Instead, they are made to where just the edges will rest against the floor. Well, I can sit them flush IF I TURN THE BELTS UPSIDE DOWN!!!. What am I missing here?

\_____

should sit like this instead, flip the top over and that is how they are made to mount. This will obviously not give me a flush mount and actually puts the belt against the carpet. Does this make sense?

Yep, they do as you say. Got the same problem. I just said to heck with it and mounted them so the belt was right, not the mount point. Someday I may get a better looking belt. For now, they work.......

Well, I called NPD and a guy pulled a belt and took a look at it. Kudos to him for doing that. All belts are made this way and he told me, "I see what you mean but have never had anybody call about them." He told me to send them back if need be so thumbs up. I went ahead and mounted as they should be mounted (flush) but this will put a 1/2 turn on the belts when connected. Oh well, the seatbelt config will be the least of my worries in a wreck considering the speering column, decapapad and exploding gas tank.

I called the Fl. NPD about them a few months ago. Was told that is the way they are. May have to call again. The problem with the twist is it could cause the belt to shear at that point. But....like you say, avoiding the spearing, decapitating, and burning, maybe the seat belt breaking would help. Makes you feel so good to drive a classic.......

Back