• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Yeah, Im crazy... pics inside.

boss351

So what do you all think of my newest project?

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t269/stealth886/69%20Mach%201/

Now for the real question.... does anyone know if a coupe door jamb section will fit on a fastback?

As you can see, my drivers side door jamb is smashed in pretty good... I want to cut this whole section out and replace with a donor section, because I don't think these parts are repoed yet. This car will need EVERYTHING but the roof.... major project? Yes! The good thing is, its a real Mach 1, and there is so much wrong with it, I can build it exactly how I want it. Think im crazy?

Yeah, Im insane... pics inside.

What do you call the little sayings that we put under our sig pics? This is the one from Fast68back "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"" All that I can say is that you dudes that live in the snow have a lot of free time. Good luck. fd

Yep, you're definitely certifiable :craz Good one on you to save, hope that it works out.

I have some comments.......

In this picture.....

100_2009.jpg

By any chance is that the finding of the build sheet? He seems pretty happy, my guess is that it's a build sheet find.

In this picture.......

100_2012.jpg

I can only guess that he's trying to sneak away while "my daddy who's lost his mind" isn't paying attention.

Dude, are you nuts? There's nothing left to save. If it was a BOSS 302/429 car I could see it, but otherwise it's just not worth the effort. You will be TREMENDOUSLY upside down after finishing this car. Please tell me that the previous owner paid you to remove this car from his property.... and that you didn't actually pay him anything for it. Please.

Down the road from me is a nice running/driving Sportsroof that could be ready for the upcoming show season in a couple months and it could yours for $7-8k. Your car will require almost that much in metal work.... just to get the "shell" finished.

So to answer your question, yes, you're crazy.

Welcome to the club, but you're WAY crazier than me.

Last edited by a moderator:
"daveSanborn" said:

1+

It's nice to see someone who is crazier than me.

Good luck on your project...I assume you can weld and do body work? Have you considered grafting the roof on a coupe?

"daveSanborn" said:
I have some comments.......

In this picture.....

100_2009.jpg

By any chance is that the finding of the build sheet? He seems pretty happy, my guess is that it's a build sheet find.

In this picture.......

100_2012.jpg

I can only guess that he's trying to sneak away while "my daddy who's lost his mind" isn't paying attention.

Dude, are you nuts? There's nothing left to save. If it was a BOSS 302/429 car I could see it, but otherwise it's just not worth the effort. You will be TREMENDOUSLY upside down after finishing this car. Please tell me that the previous owner paid you to remove this car from his property.... and that you didn't actually pay him anything for it. Please.

Down the road from me is a nice running/driving Sportsroof that could be ready for the upcoming show season in a couple months and it could yours for $7-8k. Your car will require almost that much in metal work.... just to get the "shell" finished.

I am upside down on everything that I do. Around here affordable fastbacks are hard to find :craz This is one of those projects that I feel I need to do to prove to myself that I am capable of doing it myself. I am weird like that. The coupe I did all the body work and paint myself... I do anticipate this taking a LONG time, but I can't remember back when i didnt have a car to work on. Now that my coupe is close to being finished, I figured I would find a project to last me till im 50 (25 years to go) :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
"DeadStang" said:
1+

It's nice to see someone who is crazier than me.

Good luck on your project...I assume you can weld and do body work? Have you considered grafting the roof on a coupe?
I have considered this. To answer your question I am a certified structural welder (previous job) and love to do body work. It will take me awhile to really decide which direction I am going to go.

I figured I would find a project to last me till im 50 (25 years to go)

You just may have found that project. If you turn up an extra set of clutch/brake pedals under all them leaves let me know :craz

"boss351" said:
I have considered this. To answer your question I am a certified structural welder (previous job) and love to do body work. It will take me awhile to really decide which direction I am going to go.

Ultimately, if you get a nice, solid coupe, you'll end up with a better car I think, than if you patch it together with Dynacorn patch panels and chunks off of old coupes. There is a guy local to me that buys coupes, strips them ( :cry this makes me sad because I am into '69 coupes), and sells off the shell. He has a lot of stuff that is not rusty...if you want to ship one.

Nice project! I dont think youre too crazy, I have a 69 in about the same condition I still havent given up on. It sits in the barn waiting for me to someday find the time. How is it or should I say was it optioned?

"boss351" said:
As you can see, my drivers side door jamb is smashed in pretty good... I want to cut this whole section out and replace with a donor section, because I don't think these parts are repoed yet. This car will need EVERYTHING but the roof.... major project?

The 69 sportsroofs are now available as a complete body, so literally every part of the car is now available. Dynacorn has a door frame assembly that includes the door pillar, roof rail (above the door), A-pillar, rocker panel, and the inner quarter structure behind the door pillar. I think it runs like $1000-1500 per side.

You can also get complete floor frame assembly with floor panel, rocker panel, rear frame rails, transition panel and trunk floors assembled. Add in the front assemblies where the front frame rails, shock towers, and fender aprons are all assembled already and you could almost replace the entire unibody structure with a minimal amount of alignment issues and welding for about $4-5000, parts only. You would need a structurally sound car from which to take good measurements and some sort of jig to mock everything up before welding.

It can be done. You'll save money buying every part individually, but then you'll have a more robust job with panel alignment and the time to weld every single panel on the unibody.

I think this car can definitely be saved. However, I'm not sure now is the right time to do so. It may be more viable in 5-10-15 years from now to save this car. Today, like others have said, it would be far cheaper and easier in the long run to buy a decent car in the $5-10k range and go from there.

if you want to challenge yourself then this is a good project but keep in mind that it will cost alot more money then to start with a more decent one.Like the boys said.
You are probably smart enough to know that , but also crazy enough to start that project.
Hell , we all do crazy stuff in our lifetime.Aren't we?

Isn't there a guy in Sacramento that would be interested in flipping this?
Or maybe he already did his part. :lol

I don't think you're any more crazy than any of the rest of us for even getting into the Mustang hobby.

I say good luck and have fun doing it. I know I would.

"KBMWRS" said:
Or maybe he already did his part. :lol

You used the wrong smilie?

This is what that post should have looked like...

"KBMWRS" said:
Or maybe he already did his part. :nick

You are a braver man than I !!!! Your comment about it being a "real Mach 1" raises the question: "Is the VIN tag still on the dash board?" If not, you will likely need a state issued VIN tag when it gets time to register it and in some peoples' minds, the state issued VIN devalues what would otherwise be a real Mach 1.

Back