• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Yeah, Im crazy... pics inside.

I think saving a car like that is noble! I still think the guy in Sac could help you get $80k for it.... :nick

At this point if you save the body with patch panels you will be about 10k ahead for your labor. Since it is stripped of it's running gear, you can do what you want to with it. Go crazy if you want to. Put some hard core suspension under it, maybe MII front end and get rid of the shock towers and a massive big block crate engine! :$$$ :$$$ :$$$

Because of the shape it is in now, the sky is the limit. As long as the money holds out. :$$$ :$$$ :$$$

So, are you crazy? Yes, like a fox. Watch in 10 years when you are done, the comments you will have then. Also investing todays dollars in saving this car and keeping it around, the value will go up and eventually catch up with the investment.

Well, I am still hoping for that with my coupe. :lol

I think that may take a long time.

Mel

At this point if you save the body with patch panels you will be about 10k ahead for your labor.

I don't see that. There's not much left of the original body that appears to be worth saving.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about "saving" a car. There just comes a point where it's not's worth saving and this car is beyond that point IMO.

Being in Terre Haute myself I can back up his statement about fastbacks being hard to find period much less affordable ones. The two I have are not in much better shape and it took me years to find them. I am still kicking my self in the arse for passing up a 6 cylinder 69 fastback in mecca about ten years ago. Out of curiosity where did you find this one? I heard of one out buy sandcut in similar shape but still haven't found it yet.

David

This car came from Casey, IL.... if there was one by Sandcut, I would have found it by now... Im in the North Terre Haute area..... where are you? JBAUER is also from Terre Haute, didn't know there was anyone else.

Dave, I was basing my math on some of the parts guesses above. I have only had to replace floors in the 67 and a battery tray in the 67. Both of my cars are pretty rust free. I have a small bit of rust on the 65, but I think I got it with that rust reverser crap. Then I sealed it with :nick Hehehehe :lol

The 67 was on it's way to the crusher because someone felt it was too far gone. Where is the line exactly?

If nothing else he has a vin for a rebody if he chooses. I see where the rear quarters, front clip, floors, radiator support, and probably the torque boxes and possibly the front frame rails would need to be replaced, but if he is a welder as he says, he can keep his skills homed here and have some relaxation and beer at the same time. After some new metal and some fun he'll have a new old body. Then the fun of putting in whatever he wants for suspension and drivetrain. Then paint and interior and he'll have a nice car.

I guess I am an optimist.

Mel

Yes, the coupe door jamb should fit fine. From the door jambs, forward the coupes and fastbacks are the same, except for the glass and roof. Aft of the door jambs the start to get very different, including the quarter panels and end caps.

That's one serious project. It's going to take $40k to turn it into a $30k car, but sometimes it's all about the journey.

That's one serious project. It's going to take $40k to turn it into a $30k car....

That's the only point I was trying to make Mel. While it's "fun" to bring a car back from the dead, I always step back and look at the bigger picture. The bigger picture in this case is that there isn't much left of this car worth saving and it will be considerably upside down when it's all said and done.

There's a '65 A code 2+2 a few miles from me that the owner has told me to come pick up whenever I'm ready. I'll never be "that" ready. There is nothing left of the car after he sandblasted it and let it sit outside for the last 15 years.

I agree that when its all said and done, that car will be significantly upside down.

I'm usually an optimist, and I don't normally rain on somebody else's parade, but I'm going to put my reality hat on here and lay a case of beer on a bet that says if you intend on doing this yourself, 5 years from now you'll have $5000 worth of new sheet metal in the garage gathering dust with less than 1/3 of the necessary welding done. It will quickly become an issue of panel alignment due to everything needing replaced and a nagging question of "where do I start?" If you really pursue doing this, my bet is that the magnitude of just how much needs replaced becomes overwhelming and nothing much gets accomplished.

That said, if you want to make this a "father-son" project, spend maybe 3 grand a year on it over the next 12-15 years, your boy will have a nice car, you won't have felt the pain as much, and the money you have tied up in it won't be as noticeable.

"sigtauenus" said:
I agree that when its all said and done, that car will be significantly upside down.
If the car is upside down....will the roof support the weight? :craz :craz

Back