• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Yes Dave, what would you do?

gwstang

This is kind of long, so get your favorite beverage...take a crap/piss or whatever before starting. :craz A little background: I live way out in the sticks. I mean my house is in the woods and no one around for a long way. I like it this way. I can go out the back and shoot 8 points for crying out loud. I have some chickens we use for eggs. I have a nice chicken pen (large) and they are very contented chickens and lay very well. I am a country boy...my wife of 32 years (got married when I was in the Navy way back in '77) and she has been a good wife until lately. The past 2 days something has killed and eaten the breast off of 2 chickens in the pen. I can only figure a hawk, because there is no way anything is going to climb into the pen as I have an electric wire around the top and bottom to discourage any such act. I go to Lowe's and get some bird netting to put over the top of the pen and almost have enough. I need one more to finish and will get that today to complete it. Well, I slept a little late this morning and when I get up I hear this yelling out by the barn. I get dressed and head that way and my wife is flapping her arms and yelling at something in the pen. I get down there and she said the very large red tailed hawk was trapped in the pen with the chickens and could not figure how to get out the same way he came in. I am like, "why didn't you get me so I could kill the dang thing and it would not get any more chickens"? She says that she just couldn't stand to see it suffering and let it out. I am thoroughly pissed at this point and just about ready to kick her arse...something I haven't done in 32 years. I finally calmed down and asked her if she could not reason that the hawk will still get the chickens when they get let out of the pen to forage in the afternoons. My question is: What would you do with the city girl, Dave? I mean, it's country boy vs city girl and she ain't got a clue even after all these years...most of which have been spent here in the country! I know that you can't get the country out of the country boy...but can you get the city out of the city girl?????????????????????????????? :cry

Similar situation that my brother is currently in.... he's landscaped some ornamental fish ponds onto his property and they're stocked with coy. He's prolly got about 100 fish. Recently an Egret has found the captive fish and is eating them around the clock. While the Egret is a very pretty bird..... that is federally protected just like your chickenhawk..... my brother has no choice but to put a bullet in him.

Your red-tail has found an easy mark and he won't give up until every chicken is gone.

Expalin to your wife how pretty he'll look stuffed by your local taxidermist and forever perched on your fireplace mantle. If you got one of your 8 pointers mounted you could place the chickenhawk on top of the rack and start your own living room wildlife menagerie.

An alternative to killing him may be had by placing some fake plastic barn owl's around the chicken coop.

I can't help you with your Mrs..... if she's been living with a country boy since 1977 and you ain't talked sense into her in all of that time... there's nothing I can help you with.

A friend of mine had a similar problem with the coy being eaten by a Great Blue Heron. He called the game and fish office and asked them what he should do. they told him he can't do anything because they are an endangered species. His reply was "Well this one is definitely endangered because I'm fixin to shoot his ass!" But he ran out of fish before he could get a good shot. :cry

Sounds like your problems will be solved once you completely cover the coup.

As for coy koi fish, a friend of mine had the same problem. He dug out the pond so it was too deep for the Heron to stand in. Then, the fish could hide in the depths, and her Heron could only fish from the sides. Heron still comes by from time to time, but he doesn't get much to eat.

edited for Grabber70Mach

Sounds like your problems will be solved once you completely cover the coup.

I'm not so sure about that..... the hen's roost in the coop, but I assume that they roam around the yard otherwise. The hawk will still get them.

While cooking up some fresh chicken sounds good.... I like the idea of having a handful of fresh eggs EVERY morning.

I assume you're a good shot - forget what you know. Wound it, catch it, then tell the Mrs you found it in the woods, and are taking it to the local bird rescue - must've hurt itself when trapped. Take it there (to maintain plausible deniability).

Situation now: chickenhawk gone, Mrs thinks you are a hero, BJs at ten.

coy

–adjective
1. artfully or affectedly shy or reserved; slyly hesitant; coquettish.
2. shy; modest.
3. showing reluctance, esp. when insincere or affected, to reveal one's plans or opinions, make a commitment, or take a stand: The mayor was coy about his future political aspirations.
4. Archaic. disdainful; aloof.
5. Obsolete. quiet; reserved.
–verb (used without object)
6. Archaic. to act in a coy manner.
–verb (used with object) Obsolete.
7. to quiet; soothe.
8. to pat; caress.
Origin:
1300–50; ME < AF coi, quoy calm, OF quei < VL *quētus, for L quiētus quiet

Related forms:
coyish, adjective
coy⋅ish⋅ness, noun
coyly, adverb
coyness, noun

Synonyms:
2. retiring, diffident, bashful, demure.

koi

–noun
any of various colorful cultivated forms of the common carp, Cyprinus carpio, apparently originating in Japan and other parts of eastern temperate Asia.
Origin:
1720–30; < Japn, earlier kowi < kofi, Old Japn kwofi < *kwopi carp

:eek:mg :) :wm?

"I can't help you with your Mrs..... if she's been living with a country boy since 1977 and you ain't talked sense into her in all of that time... there's nothing I can help you with."...

Reminds me of something I heard many years ago. A young fellow was getting married and asked an old farmer about married life and how to get his wife to listen to him. Well, says the old farmer, when you get her home in the wagon, take the trace chain off that mule and whoop her with it. Do this about once a week for a month, and all you will have to do after that is just shake the chain. lol. Wise words from a time long gone now. :mid

Idea :ide

On top of your coop place a bowl with a dead chicken(one that he already got) but lace it with gopher bait from the co-op store. The bird will eat it and fly away. Then you can tell your wife "wow he just wanted dinner, I guess he is not coming back"

I did this about two years ago but on a much larger scale. I had about ten million pigeons flying around my business. Only problem was that I had kamikaze pigeons after they ate the gopher bait. It wasn't pretty and then had to explain to my wife why they were flying into the ground.

&quot;ClassicRecreations&quot; said:
Idea :ide

On top of your coop place a bowl with a dead chicken(one that he already got) but lace it with gopher bait from the co-op store. The bird will eat it and fly away. Then you can tell your wife "wow he just wanted dinner, I guess he is not coming back"

I did this about two years ago but on a much larger scale. I had about ten million pigeons flying around my business. Only problem was that I had kamikaze pigeons after they ate the gopher bait. It wasn't pretty and then had to explain to my wife why they were flying into the ground.

Good call.....

An update on the redtail hawk issue. I did get the bird netting from lowe's and completely covered the pen. Stopped the attacks completely. The hawk has stopped hanging around here since someone took a shot at him with a 30.06 lol. He is alive and well but moved on...nothing to see here I guess. :) It's kind of odd that he will not bother the hens when they are let out of the pen every afternoon to free range around the field/yard. I have noticed that they stopped going out into the field very far but stay around the house and under the trees more. Maybe chickens are smarter than we think! :lol

Back