• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Yes, I find this funny

"guruatbol" said:
Cat tastes like chicken. Chicken tastes like rabbit.

My uncle used to provide for his family, (5 kids) with a huge garden, rabbits and lots of fruit trees. They did buy other meat with the money they got for selling some of the rabbits, but rabbit was on the table much of the time.

When I was a kid we used to go to grand central market in down town LA and get fresh rabbit.

I am planning a rabbit farm of sorts on my property. I'm going to raise chickens too, so we will have multiple protein sources.

Mel

My Mom used to tell me that raising/eating/selling or trading rabbits was what helped their family survive during the "depression".
There was no welfare or food stamps, and there were 7 kids to feed.

meat_market.jpg

Attachments

• meat_market.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 19
When I was a teenager, living in a rural area, I used to kill rabbits with my bow all the time. Never ate them, though. Just tossed 'em to the barn cats and let them have at it. I was always told that there was a season(s?) of the year that wild rabbit was dangerous to eat due to some kind of disease or something. Didn't really care. I just liked the challenge of hitting a moving rabbit with an arrow.

I heard that too back when I hunted with my dad and grandfather. It's been ages since I even thought about it, but it had something to do with some kind of parasite. I remember seeing rabbits and a few of our mouse control cats get some kind of insect larva that would be buried into the skin.
Maybe that's just around here. Not really sure. I haven't hunted since I was a teen.

Edit:
After a bit of searching, I found it. Warbles(but my folks called it wolves) It's a species of bot fly around here. The larvae show up July-October.

"Gigantopithecus" said:
I heard that too back when I hunted with my dad and grandfather. It's been ages since I even thought about it, but it had something to do with some kind of parasite. I remember seeing rabbits and a few of our mouse control cats get some kind of insect larva that would be buried into the skin.
Maybe that's just around here. Not really sure. I haven't hunted since I was a teen.

Edit:
After a bit of searching, I found it. Warbles(but my folks called it wolves) It's a species of bot fly around here. The larvae show up July-October.
Don't recall the name but the time period matches my memory. Late summer it was. Now I'm sitting here missing my bow. Damn.

I remember hearing months ending in "er" are the bad times.

Warbles isn't so much of an issue as far as humans are concerned, because the larva are just under the skin and are removed when cleaning. Tularemia (http://www.idph.state.il.us/public/hb/hbtulare.htm), caused by fleas and ticks can make you sick as hell but most rabbits with it die in days. It's not much of a problem after frost and freezing, hence most rabbit seasons are in the winter. kip

Wrong thread for me to look at.
Yikes. Lol.

When I was a kid I used to let the rabbits go from my neighbors traps because I thought they were going to eat them. I think I was about 6?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Its actually the rear end of JohnPro's Scary I made for a banner and since I'm too lazy to make a new one I just reused it.

Back