• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

You guys get flu shots?

Flysure1

It has been over 10 years since a doctor talked me into one, I had several say I should get one thisyear because of heart surgery---I got one about 2 weeks ago and I am now getting sick with runny nose, cough, scratchy throat--etc--I got very sick last time I got one and swore I would not get another--I know all medical people say it is impossible to get sick from the shot but I will be tough to convince, I am sure in a 100 years from now our treatment of medical conditions will be called crude and barbaric like we call the practices from 100 years ago. Anyone else get sick after the flu shot?

I've never had one, but my son got horrifically sick years ago when he received a flu shot.

My wife has never received one, either.

Early in my military life, they were mandatory. I got one and got extremely sick for over a week. Never had one since and had to sign a paper in the military that I refused it. I never get sick either....

My Dad got them religiously and never had an issue.

Back when about 15 years ago I used to get sick from the shot and would basically feel like I had the flu for a day or two after the shot so I stopped getting them for about 15 years.

About five years ago I had a really horrible "flu like" virus that was making the rounds that took literally months (December to March) to get over. I would start to feel like I was over it and over do it just a little and feel like shart again.

I started getting flu shots then and they don't make me sick like they used to. I have gotten one every year except for last year. My company used to have someone come on site to give us shots and I would get them. Last year they did not have someone come on site and I never got around to it.

Not sure if I am going to get one or not this year. About half the time they don't work anyway and I seem to have a pretty decent immunity to it naturally. I have a coworker who had a flu shot a few years ago and ended up getting the flu twice that year anyway.

Two years ago, I caught the swine flu...that wasn't really to bad but the pneumonia it gave me sucked. From what I could tell that particular one was more likely to give you pneumonia since a lot of folks I know who got it also developed either bronchitis or pneumonia.

My wife works in administration at a local hospital. They are mandated to get a flu shot every year. Yes, you can get sick from the shot. The shot is basically a very weak dose of the virus. They give your body a bit of it to fight off and develop the antibodies necessary to ward off future attacks. Some people do get sick and anyone with a basic medical knowledge will tell you that. Still, although I NEVER get the shot, it is a good idea for most people. I'm just one of the lucky ones who, up to this point anyway, doesn't get sick.

Never had one and rarely get sick.

and I'll add, never have had the flu that I can recall.

"Horseplay" said:
My wife works in administration at a local hospital. They are mandated to get a flu shot every year. Yes, you can get sick from the shot. The shot is basically a very weak dose of the virus. They give your body a bit of it to fight off and develop the antibodies necessary to ward off future attacks. Some people do get sick and anyone with a basic medical knowledge will tell you that. Still, although I NEVER get the shot, it is a good idea for most people. I'm just one of the lucky ones who, up to this point anyway, doesn't get sick.

It's my understanding they no longer use a live virus. Back when they did I would feel like crap after getting the shot. Now it never phases me so I would get one when it was easy and the company was picking up the tab.

I probably won't go out of my way to get one though. I've only had the flu two times in my life....once in 8th grade and then the swine flu which the shot would not have prevented anyway.

No flu shots for me. Since the CDC cannot guarantee which flu variant will be around in the upcoming winter, they make their best educated guess on the top four flus, and that's what makes up the shot. Historically, they've been about 39% right. I'll take my chances without the shot, thank you very much.

I get one every year and have never had any negative reaction from the innoculation.

Flu shot....get flu

wow...that's scientific.

Of course I get the shot...yearly. No flu. Therefore Fox new was right. Its not the 1%. :roll

The SWMBO works for disease control, yep government job, and insists that we get our flu shots. I got mine on Tuesday, and have been getting them for years now with no problems.

fd

Nope, never get them. Got one a long time ago, felt like hammered dog crap afterward. I just said I'll take my chances from now on. I rarely get sick. Last time I got the flu was during the swine flu outbreak a few years back. It beat me down for 2 days, then I was fine like nothing happened.

No shot ever, don't get sick. If I feel like some symptoms are coming on, I'll spend the next two days working my arse off outside. Symptoms disappear with no medication. Funny how that contrasts to shutting down and medicating huh?

I get one every year pretty steadily, had mine ~30 days ago, no aftereffect. I've even given them to a few people when I was in nursing school. My wife and daughter (13) got theirs a couple weeks ago, they felt run down for a couple days.
Next best thing would be a good bleeding with leeches..
Jon

There was a recent "news" article about the top 5 "myths" concerning flu shots. #2 on the list was that the shots MADE you sick. Well, I'm like many others. I don't get them! During my 15 years in the military I HAD to get them (we weren't as lucky as Pete I guess and had a way to opt out), I sneaked by on 2 out of the 15 years. Every year BUT those two I got sick as a dog with the flu! Over the course of those years the shot went from the "live" virus to the "dead" one. They affected me the same way no matter what, I still got sick. Doesn't seem to be too much of a "myth" to me!

During my 50 year lifetime I've caught the flu twice, outside of when I received the shots. Based on the track record I have NOT getting the shots I refuse to get them. I even passed up a sweet off duty job because they mandated everyone had to get a flu shot (security work at a hospital...$25.00 an hour). Since I have always gotten sick from the shot and usually take at least 2 weeks to recover, that would have cost me 2 weeks of sick leave at my regular job and NO income from the off duty job. Didn't make a whole lotta sense. It also leaves those off duty hours for workin' on the cars! :thu

Back