• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

You know you're old when...

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
...you trade in a Mustang for a Lincoln. Yup, I sold the '06 Mustang for a very sweet Lincoln 2010 MKZ with 5000 miles. This is my first automatic car in my lifetime, as well!

Why did I do this? My driving has changed from basic home-to-work to a good mixture of long-distance driving. I put 71,000 on the Mustang in 5.5 years, about double my normal mileage. When I'm on the road, I typically go 10-14 hours at a stretch, and the Mustang's suspension was just too much for my body to take for 12+ hours. I wanted something a little less harsh, a little quieter, and a little more luxurious. The MKZ is an upgraded Focus, with the same exterior dimensions as the Mustang, but much much more interior room and a bigger trunk. Plus, it has better MPG (about 2-3 MPG). The wifey even likes it!

I test drove a Caddy CTS (good luxury but had a sports suspension like the Mustang), a DTS (better luxury but worse gas mileage; if not for the mileage, I might have gone for it), and a Hyundai Genesis (very nice but too expensive). The MKZ pretty much hit the sweet spot for me.

Now I still have a Mustang, but it is a 1966, and it has a clutch, so I still will have to use the left leg.

So....call me an Old Fart. I think after all of these years, I deserve some comfort and luxury.

The MKZ shares the same platform as a Fusion, not a Focus - big difference. You'll like the MKZ - they're great cars - very few problems.

Old? Nah Randy, that's just a change of tastes for long drives. Now, ya REALLY know you're getting old when they tear down the gym at your old high school to build a new one. Reason? It was too old. Ummmmm, I played in the "old" one that was demolished.......while they were building it!! Yikes!!! :confu

Not at all Randy. I drove a 63 Galaxie for 10 years while my Falcon sat at home next to the Mustang. Your body can take only so much. Enjoy the ride and the ability to hear the radio.

Midlife is getting soft.....and old.....this is beyond midlife........

And about the school gym comment......my high school I graduated from is now a museum........talk about feeling old.

"AzPete" said:
Midlife is getting soft.....and old.....this is beyond midlife........

And about the school gym comment......my high school I graduated from is now a museum........talk about feeling old.

I'm surprised that your High School was in a building. But then again, you must have had to repeat those years over and over and over again until you finally passed and buildings had finally been invented.

Damn Randy,
Do you need a posty to remind yourself to put your teeth back in every morning when you wake up? I mean :wtf ?

"Midlife" said:
I'm surprised that your High School was in a building. But then again, you must have had to repeat those years over and over and over again until you finally passed and buildings had finally been invented.

Considering my Great Grandfather worked on building that school and my mother also graduated from it....I guess buildings were invented........oh, wait.....it was built out of stone......must have been a cave.lol

.....and you must be getting forgetful in your old age. The Explorer was auto, and so is your mini van......even though you will say they are or were your wifes. I see you driving the mini (and the explorer, which by the way is running great) more than her......lol Trading Mustang for an auto/four door, owns a mini van and has no kids, forgetful......yep, old age has hit you, even if the years don't say so.

All those other cars were the wife's primary car; my primary cars have always been manuals until now. I've driven automatics, of course, as rental cars.

Color me "blue hair"! I admit it! But just remember, folks, I'm spending your inheritance...tee hee hee!

I just turned in a DTS rental after four days of long distance driving with a full compliment of passsengers (in laws) and all our luggage and I continue to be impressed. This is the fourth time I've rented one over the past few years and it does the job. Not sure what kind of mileage you get but I averaged 24 mpg with some of it at a steady 75 mph. Around here a low mileage two year old one can be had for mid $20K

"JeffTepper" said:
I just turned in a DTS rental after four days of long distance driving with a full compliment of passsengers (in laws) and all our luggage and I continue to be impressed. This is the fourth time I've rented one over the past few years and it does the job. Not sure what kind of mileage you get but I averaged 24 mpg with some of it at a steady 75 mph. Around here a low mileage two year old one can be had for mid $20K

That's what I was looking at. I wanted something better than the Mustang mileage (17/25), however. The DTS sure was comfortable!

And now to follow da :rulz:

MKZ.jpg

I think I'm gonna name this car "Jaws". *LOL*

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue hair? really?
At least you have hair. :guns :rant :roll

Oh and I'll join Tim in calling you an Old Fart as you wish. :bowdown

The MkZ was my favorite rental car, next step down would be a Taurus, same car fewer bells & whistles. Do you have the paddle shifters with the 3.7? I loved bouncing the rev limiter in the rentals at on ramps. If I was an old fart the MKZ would be my choice, plenty of room to store your terminator sunglasses.

Jon

Yes, it comes with paddle shifters and a spare set of paddles for wayward wimmen to lay over my lap for spankings!

The MKZ is an upgraded Fusion; the MKS is the upgraded Taurus.

Back