• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1 wire alternator

Anyone running an in-line fuse with a 1 wire alt? I'd like to see some pics if anyone has any. I'd like to keep things as neat and tidy as I can, although I'm not all that concerned about hiding everything.

Are you talking about a fuse between the alternator and the battery? Fuggetaboutit, as that's what the voltage regulator does, even the ones integral to the alternator. All the alternator does is provide voltage at the terminal of the battery/solenoid, and that's where all power pickups begin. If you want to fuse lines from that point, that's highly recommended.

Rick,

Here's what Painless does.... the feed wire coming off of the starter solenoid heading up to the fuse box is fused with an 80 amp fuse. I'm not smart enough to understand the purpose of this fuse, but I followed the Painless directions and installed it as I figured it couldn't hurt anything.

(In the photo it appears that the rear post of the starter solenoid is connected to the fuse, but it's not. The feed wire is running behind the solenoid out of view and connects to the forward terminal on the starter solenoid).

000_0305.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back