• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1965 steering wheel removal

abrahamfh

I know to most it's a pretty simple task, but when you know nothing about Vintage Mustangs, well, that's exactly what it means. I have noticed that the fear of not knowing and possibly damaging something that cannot be replaced keeps me from pushing through sometimes. I figured I would get this started now, with the photographs that I do have and then tonight hopefully finish it up.

First step is to buy a Vintage Mustang. LoL! The following is being done on Fred my 65, not sure if it varies for other years so please verify before proceeding.

Before you begin, please make sure and disconnect the battery to avoid any electrical mishaps.

a7174f3c.jpg

First off, push the horn ring (highlighted in the following photograph) inwards towards the dash.

68400626.jpg

While pushing down on the horn ring spin it about 15 degrees counter clockwise until you feel it release.

644a5d6e.jpg

There is a spring located on the backside behind the horn ring center cap, just FYI.

9096293d.jpg

Once the horn ring is removed, this is what you will have.

hornringfront.jpg

hornringback.jpg

The following is a what the steering wheel looks like without the horn ring.

steeringcolumnnut.jpg

This is where you can choose one of two options, yay, options. One option is loosening the nut, remember not to remove it, leaving the nut on will keep the steering wheel from flying off once its been banged loose.

Using a rubber mallet proceed to tap(pound) the back of the steering wheel in adjacent locations on the wheel to try and loosen it.

The tool

rubbermallet.jpg

The order of attack, this will allow the steering wheel to loosen evenly.

SWrubbermalletsequence.jpg

The second option (because the first option explained did not work for me) is to purchase a steering wheel puller. (steering wheel puller kindly provided by cmayna for this write up)

The tools

SWremovaltool.jpg

longratchet.jpg

Completely remove the nut and proceed to install the steering wheel puller as displayed in the photograph. The puller comes with a few different threaded bolts for the two holes in the steering wheel, use whichever bolts are correct for your application.

Order of tool installation

SWremovaltoolsetupsteps.jpg

What it should look like

SWremovaltoolsetupb.jpg

SWremovaltoolsetupa.jpg

After about 30 seconds of ratcheting on the center bolt of the steering wheel puller the steering wheel so graciously released itself from the steering wheel column.

SWpoppedoff.jpg

Once the steering wheel puller is removed you can now successfully remove the steering wheel and this is now what you have left.

SWremoved.jpg

steeringcolumnwithSWremoved.jpg

steeringcolumnwithSWremovedcloser.jpg

If there is any bit of information that I missed or if something isn't clear and can be explained less complicatedly please let me know and we can make modifications. Again, just a reminder this was for a 1965 steering wheeling removal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: (under construction) steering wheel removal

Best to disconnect the battery before removing the horn ring!

Back