• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1967 Mustang loose rockers

David67

I have a coworker that her husband has a 1967 Mustang. It has a 302, and just wondering if he can just tighten them down while doing the proper procedure of adjusting the rockers or get the heads rebuilt and replace what's needed.

I'm leaning towards taking off the heads and getting them rebuilt. Just to make sure everything is good to go.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Seems the stud is coming loose. Take a straight bare and lay it on top of all studs. They should be all inline/same level .

Is that OK , I would adjust the valve lash like this guy explained in the video.

Rotate the engine twice and do a cilinderleak test and / or compressiontest before you want to dissamble the heads.

my 2 eurocent.

After seeing the vid for multiple times , I am pretty sure the stud is coming loose. Don't dissamble the head. !

I might be with Bruno on this one based on what can be seen in that video. That first one was so loose it would seem obvious to the eye that the stud is sitting prouder than others. BUT...

He could also have wiped the cam by not using enough zinc additive or specially formulated oil made for old flat tappet engines. Given how many rockers now seem to be so loose I'm afraid this might make more sense than a bunch of studs all pulling loose at once after what I presume years of operation.

If he rotates the motor so each valve is sitting on the base of the cam and they’re loose like those two, that motor needs to come out and completely gone thru.

I doubt (too) it’s all the studs pulling out.

Easy to check the height of studs first.

Mark

Drain the oil and see if it looks like metallic paint! Wiped lobes will do that.

If it is a stock engine the more I think about it the worse I think it gets. Rocker studs pull out when you swap in stiffer springs for higher lift cams. I'm not aware of such happening with stock set-ups on any regular basis regardless of mileage. He could also have a bunch of bad lifters but reaching when you go that far, I think.

What's the history on it? Is this a new car to him or has he had for ages?

Drain the oil and see if it looks like metallic paint! Wiped lobes will do that.

If it is a stock engine the more I think about it the worse I think it gets. Rocker studs pull out when you swap in stiffer springs for higher lift cams. I'm not aware of such happening with stock set-ups on any regular basis regardless of mileage. He could also have a bunch of bad lifters but reaching when you go that far, I think.

What's the history on it? Is this a new car to him or has he had for ages?
The owner has had the car since high school and the motor was replaced from a 289 to 302 in 1996. That's all I know. I actually haven't seen the vehicle in person yet. I work with his wife and she was asking me for advice.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Looked again at that video after you said engine was replaced in '96 thinking maybe it was a roller engine but judging by the rockers I don't think so.

Back