• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1971 1973 Coupe 302 Mid Length Headers

All,

I have the 73 coupe with 302 V8 with the Hedman Shorties 88400. One issue I have is the connecting ring lays against the Saginaw steering box, thus transferring engine vibrations. Also, according to some research, one looses out on low end torque and exhaust scavenging.

I know that the full length headers can cause ground clearance issues.

Has anybody looked at and or install the mid length headers that are available?

I may go with the Tri-y or another long tube header. The mid length do look like the best of both worlds.

Opinions Please!!

Yours is 4 years too new for me to know for sure, but I don't think you could go wrong with long tube FPAs:
Hello Mach1 Driver, I have emailed them to see what it will cost. I called my local ceramic coating outfit and the spec. the cost out to $350 to coat the headers. Dang, everything cost an arm, leg and boat!

The current hedman shorties I currently have were ceramic coated and they did not last 2 years before rust started to show up. It may be more cost effective to get them already coated.

Thanks

You will like them. I have had mine since 2009 and they still look new..
Hello, good to hear! After talking to Stan, I was sold ! Since I have the AOD, I was worried about the fit of the standard headers , from normal vendors, that are designed to fit factory OEM equipment!

He sold me on them a couple years ago...I just haven't bought a set yet. Still dragging my sh!t across bumps and railroad tracks...

Dread the whole R&R process laying on my back on that cold concrete. Guy needs a lift! :D

All,

Got the FPA 302 with AOD headers installed - I can tell a big difference on how the engine runs. The Henry's Muffler shop was very impressed with the quality of the headers.

Attachments

• FPA_Headers.jpeg
    FPA_Headers.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 13
  • FPA_Headers_01.jpeg
    FPA_Headers_01.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 12
  • FPA_Headers_02.jpeg
    FPA_Headers_02.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 12
Back