• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2010 headrests....

daveSanborn

Can anyone here tell me if the headrests on the front seats are adjustable?

One of the girls here at the office has a 2010 and her head-rests are removed and sitting on the floor in the back seat. She states that the headrests are sharply angled forward causing her head to lean forward in relation to her back. She momentarily installed one of the head-rests for me and it does appear to be sharply angled forward, but I didn't get a chance to play with it to see if there were any adjustments. Looking at the angle, I would think there would have to be......

How tall is she?
mst10_feat_int_06_size2.jpg

The website does state "New Mustang—All-new interior. New style."
http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/features/#page=FeatureCategory2

The previous years had the same problem with some people. I have never tried it but they said they ('09-) were reversible.

I believe all the 05 and newer cars have that style.
I've never heard an explanation for it, but I assume that it's largely for safety.
I know that the headrests in my 97, which are basically in line with the seat back, puts the headrest significantly back from my head.
Their purpose is to prevent whiplash but I've tried to rest my head back against the headrest while driving and there's no way I could do that with any comfort.
In other words, I'm pretty sure that if I got hit in the back, I'd end up with whiplash anyway.
I'm surprised she says that her head hits the headrest. I think the designers would have kept it just barely back of where it touches your head.

Yes the '05-'09 are pretty forward tilting also, I have seen some flip them backwards. Other models are this way, I think we test drove a RAV4? in '05 and it was downright uncomfortable.
Our '05 Escape go straight in line with the seat but the '09 Mustangs tilt forward, why would you get whiplash in one and not the other? I'd think they'd make all their models the same?
Wonder if there's a safe way to modify them to sit back even and inch in angle at the top? My wifes '09 has no adjustment for tilt.
Jon

My '07 Vert is the same but it does not bother either of us. The only solution I have seen is inserting them backwards into the seat. You might look into bending the rods a bit if it does not effect the integrity of them.

Back