• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

22 gallon tank swap

"jims6t6" said:
"68angrypony" said:
Im in so cal. I know in some of the other stats you guys have the pumps with the metal filler and no rubber surround. In so cal we have a rubber boot that seals around gas fill hole. Do you know with that set up at the gas station if there are still issues?

Unless they have changed the nozzles since I left CA (1994) it still splashes out but not as bad.
That boot doesn't really seal against anything as much as "cover" the fuel inlet. Pump hoses like that have a vacuum that collect the fumes created when filling up from escaping into the air. You can still get splash back and fuel spills.

"janschutz" said:
After I ran out of gas, I rolled into a gas station. My belief was that it was empty although it had not been enough miles since last fill up to have used it all. After 18.43 gallons, gas came out of the fuel inlet. I could not add any more, I tried thinking that was not enough gas to be empty. I also looked into the inlet and saw gas all the way up.

Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks for the clarification. When you ran out of gas, didn't the gas gauge read around 1/4 tank? Did you tweak (adjust) the sending unit during installation? Yes, When topping of the tank, you should be able to hear the gas starting to gurgle and come up the filler neck.

As I mentioned earlier, it might be the sock (filter) on the sending unit. When you remove the sending unit, look carefully to see if the sock extends the length of the inlet tube or is it just a filter. If the former, then it's possible the sock slid up the inlet tube, shortening the tube's length.

"68angrypony" said:
Im in so cal. I know in some of the other stats you guys have the pumps with the metal filler and no rubber surround. In so cal we have a rubber boot that seals around gas fill hole. Do you know with that set up at the gas station if there are still issues?
Yes. Lots of issues. The rubber boot usually fails to seal around the filler neck and allows gasoline to flow past it onto the ground. The only way I can fill my 69 is by standing there and adjusting the filler until I find an angle that the gas pump and the Mustang both like. Meantime all that spilled gasoline raises hell with the paint under the filler hole and with the environment in general. I've had my tail light panel repainted three times and it is bubbled right now and could use another repaint. But, hey, it's a fair tradeoff to be allowed to live in the People's Republic of California.

Back