• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

3G Alternator wiring - 1 wire left to figure out....I think.

3G Upgrade to my '67 notchback. I'm almost done wiring a junkyard '00 Taurus 130a 3G. I got a new factory alt harness. Wired a new plug onto the S wire for the power input connection and added an ring connector to the "A" yellow wire to run into the power stud. But now I am STUCK on how to wire the green/red wire coming out of the "I" harness port.

I've read that the 3G alts are "self-exciting" and just to blip the throttle to get the alternators started. Then I've read that the green/red wire needs to be connected. ?????
1 - Do I need to connect it? If so, can someone tell me EXACTLY where to splice? I've read the "I" post on the solenoid, but not sure.
2 - Can I leave it off if the alternator is in fact self exciting?

Also, I believe I'm supposed to ground this new alternator, but there's no stud to attach a ground wire. There are a couple of threaded holes on the back of the case, so I'll just figure to take it to the local hardware store to see what size metric bolt or stud will fit. Anyone keen as to the stud size?

I'm a novice with electrical stuff and have a hard time making sense of all the diagrams. I appreciate the help.

-Jeff

I have the body of the alternator grounding through the block, which the block has a ground strap. I just cleaned the surface of the round alternator bolt spacer as well as the contact area on the mounting tab of the oil dipstick and block.

The green wire goes to the ignition switched wire, which most people use the wire from the "I" side of the original voltage regulator. I think it is a red/green wire. Below are a few diagrams, which you may or may have not seen before

3Ginstall.jpg

3G-ALT_wiring.gif

md9f8o

Last edited by a moderator:
OK...so I found a matching green/red wire going into the I in the voltage regulator.

Dumb question....so I just need to add a length of wire to go from the alternator on the passenger side and across the radiator/grille and just add a connector to where it ends at the voltage regulator on the driver's side, right? I can see where the wire comes out of the voltage regulator, but then it's tied into a bundle and that is buried between the grille, core support and I don't think it pops out on the passenger side. Seems straight-forward enough.

Anyway, as I warned earlier, I'm really poor at electrical stuff. I googled a bit more and I found similar answers like this. Since the voltage regulator isn't used, except for the green/red-I-wire, can I clip off the remaining wires off the rectangular harness and remove it with the regulator?

thank you very much.
-Jeff

I personally wouldn't hack up the harness unless its already a mess. You can simply unplug the voltage regulator and tape the connector back to the harness. Strip a small section of wire on the green/red wire and either solder a new wire to it or use a Tee tap and spade connector to run the new wire to the regulator. On my 70, the alternator harness unplugged from the main harness at a male/female plug. I simply removed the alternator harness (has connection for alternator and voltage regulator), and using a new male/female plug from the parts store I ran the one wire to the alternator. At the male/female connector on the main harness, it was the green/red wire and the main larger gauge charge wire. I suck with early cars, so YMMV. Below is an alternator harness for the 67s, and it looks like it is three wires instead of my 2 on my 70. Doesn't appear yours may be as simple as mine. The 70 alternator harness is shown below that for reference of what the heck I'm talking about :barf1

!BYtFPrQCGk~$(KGrHgoH-D4EjlLle-etBKi+)POIYw~~_12.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!qIE9gFoWl96BPmb2O)Nh!~~60_12.JPG

Back