• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

5/8" Drill Bit - Shopping!

hivewax

i need a 5/8" hole... modifying the front strut mounts for the adjustable strut rods. the lowest i found for a 5/8" drill bit was at Sears for $16.99:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/ProductDisplay?partNumber=00966051000P&storeId=10153&sName=Drill+Bits&psid=FROOGLE01&vName=Tools&cName=PowerToolAccessories&catalogId=12605&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

the local Northern Tools and Harbor Freight don't carry individual drill bits. i might just call the local Sears to see if it's there.

anyone know/find anything cheaper??

$16.99 is a lot less than I paid....

Is the hole actually 5/8ths? I thought it was a little bit smaller than that.... I assume you're re-locating your UCA's?

i did the 1.75" UCA drop already, which requires a 1/2" drill bit. the 5/8" hole is for a hole in the strut frame mount. here's a picture of where i'm doing the modification.

I'd mail one to ya, but the cost to get there and back would be more than the bit!

I wouldn't think you'll find a 5/8" bit with a shank smaller than 1/2", It would be prone to snap.

"hivewax" said:
just noticed the Sears Craftsman drill bit has a 1/2" shank!! not going to fit on a regular drill...

Most drills for home use accept either 3/8" shanks or 1/2" shank maximums. Bench drill presses can accommodate larger shanks, but you're talking big buckaroos. Man, I'd love a free-standing drill press!

Not to get sidetracked, but exactly what kind of modification are you making to the strut frame mount?

BTW, I love my step bit also and don't know how I ever lived w/o one.

"daveSanborn" said:
Not to get sidetracked, but exactly what kind of modification are you making to the strut frame mount?

BTW, I love my step bit also and don't know how I ever lived w/o one.

My thoughts exactly. I'm using the Street or Track adjustable strut rods on my '66. No drilling or modifications necessary. I can't imagine what 5/8" hole is needed for a strut rod.

Also, that picture with the cut out strut rod mount looks a little scary. Why is that area cut out?

here's what's involved. they had the bolt-in adj strut rods for like $100 more, but i went the cheap route. :skull

"hivewax" said:
here's what involved.
Those pics do not compute. I don't think I've seen strut rods quite like that before. They look like JSHarvey's design gone mad. W-T-F?

BTW, you could use a small-shank 5/8" in your existing drill. I've had to buy those type of bits before for some really oddball size holes. Or, there's always a 5/8" holesaw, $3.82 from mcmaster.

I made my own for under $60 and got the stuff locally.
I did use a slightly larger bolt though. I think drilling and getting the spacers the right size was the hard parts.

Back