• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65 interior paint code for black?

Coupe

I am painting the dash (black interior) and cannot find a paint code or even a name for the original color. I want to get a pint mixed up today and all I find is the "Ditzler 9295 Black", is that a good cross reference number to work with? I did not think they called it "Black" I thought it was a charcoal grey metallic or charcoal black?

Raven black is a dash color? I am fairly certain thats an exterior color.

Every search result is different info, I know the lacquer is NLA, but I cant find a definitive answer on the interior and everybody just brings up rattle can part numbers.

After more reading, I keep coming up with Dark charcoal Metallic as well as the 9295 black by PPG.

"cmayna" said:
After more reading, I keep coming up with Dark charcoal Metallic

That is what I am seeing, but I cant find any hard code or number to use for cross reference?

Well, after some more inquiry I have been told by a concourse forum member that it was in fact Black Ditzler DL 9295 in 1965. I wonder when it changed to the Charcoal?

"mustangstofear" said:
PPG 9295 is what I use all the time, just sprayed a engine compartment with it.

Rich, do you think it looks like the original Dash paint on the 65/6 cars as far as gloss?

It's dead on, and MCA approved. I tried some Hot Rod satin black this week and had to redo it, I'll bet I've used the PPG for over thirty years with no problem.

"mustangstofear" said:
It's dead on, and MCA approved. I tried some Hot Rod satin black this week and had to redo it, I'll bet I've used the PPG for over thirty years with no problem.

Cool, thanks! I will go out and see if I can find some or the same mix etc..

EDIT: Snag. My paint jobber wants to mix it but he does not know the Degree of gloss to use for the proper gloss. Do you have any additional number?

Man, I cant find a jobber that is worth a dam down on the southside of Indy. I did find a Sherwin Williams for $75 a pint, and the guy on the phone was not exactly giving me the "Warm fuzzies" and I doubt he knew what he was doing.

"gtscode" said:
I ordered from these guys and was pretty happy.

https://www.carpaintonline.com/

Thanks. They list the 9295 4 different times with different numbers associated.I wonder what is different?

And I am now learning from my local guys that I may need to adjust the flattening as I mix. I thought I could just by the paint and mix the activator and have it come out with the proper gloss. This kinda sux.

If you can find somebody with a 1965 Ditzler color chip chart, the interior paint codes are on the back side... most searching I have done on the net only show the front page...

Back